Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria Inn

Victoria Inn

Mods feel free to move this, but Victoria Street is an extension of Victoria Road, which is an extension of Well Street!

After having been closed for several months the Victoria Inn is open again, and the new Landlord, Andy, will be stating open during University holidays. He's got four real ales and a willingness to rotate to deal with preferences. The heating is barely working yet but the welcome is about 200% better than the previous incumbent ever managed, and it'll certainly worth considering during the busy Christmas period fixtures. Incidentally didn't receive any liquid bribery to post this - just glad to have it reopen.

Re: Victoria Inn

Quote Originally Posted by David Treharne View Post
    Mods feel free to move this, but Victoria Street is an extension of Victoria Road, which is an extension of Well Street!

After having been closed for several months the Victoria Inn is open again, and the new Landlord, Andy, will be stating open during University holidays. He's got four real ales and a willingness to rotate to deal with preferences. The heating is barely working yet but the welcome is about 200% better than the previous incumbent ever managed, and it'll certainly worth considering during the busy Christmas period fixtures. Incidentally didn't receive any liquid bribery to post this - just glad to have it reopen.
    Good news.

the Vic was my local back in the student days of 1971 onwards and I spent many a happy hour there with the then landlord Ray. I was one of the original organisers of drinking it dry as a rag fundraiser in 1972. I always avoided Devenish's disgusting Viking Lager, though...

I was surprised to see The Vic shut during this semester.I thought it had been closed for good.

The St Anne’s Well(Brook Green Tavern) my pre match venue of choice,was similarly shut for many months around 2015.It was refurbished,a excellent licencee installed & the clientele has vastly improved.Well worth a visit too.

Good news indeed.

I can understand why they used to close during the holidays but people would get into the habit of going somewhere else and possibly not bother going back. It also didn't help that the beer was inconsistent and there seemed to be a tendency to employ the most incompetent bar staff available.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    I was surprised to see The Vic shut during this semester.I thought it had been closed for good.

The St Anne’s Well(Brook Green Tavern) my pre match venue of choice,was similarly shut for many months around 2015.It was refurbished,a excellent licencee installed & the clientele has vastly improved.Well worth a visit too.
    Brook Green was shut down after a drugs raid. The brewery got rid of landlord and wanted to give it a new image. They spent £100k on a refurbishment and new tenants. Good to hear Vic is open again for the folk of Exeter and with 4 real ales. Cheers Dave.

All these other options do of course take business away from Exeter Citys on site facilities on matchdays. I take it thats okay?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    All these other options do of course take business away from Exeter Citys on site facilities on matchdays. I take it thats okay?
    Your concern for the club’s revenue is very touching, coming from someone who has repeatedly said they won’t contribute another penny to the club while the current regime are in charge.

Have you joined the Trust yet as you promised?

I always support the real ale bar in the Centre Spot on match days, which is well worth visiting and I would recommend it to anyone who hadn’t tried. The guys who run it are a friendly bunch and it’s always good to put money back into the club.

Really good news about the Victoria Inn though, which I will definitely visit over the festive period.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by Fareham Grecian View Post
    Your concern for the club’s revenue is very touching, coming from someone who has repeatedly said they won’t contribute another penny to the club while the current regime are in charge.

Have you joined the Trust yet as you promised?
    You should know by now Fareham not to ask a direct question that would require any sort of concrete answer !

Never a fan of the Vic tbh even when I lived in Springfield road the only times I use to go in there was before gigs up at the uni.

Quote Originally Posted by David Treharne View Post
    The welcome is about 200% better than the previous incumbent ever managed.
    Well if they manage to have more than one member of staff working on a match day, that will be a massive improvement.

I see that the North Bridge Inn on St David's Hill is now also open again after being closed for several years.