• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Steve Perryman retiring

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Echo that Ramone. Always found SP a thoroughly engaging chap who never found it too much trouble to stop for a chat.

geoffwp

absolutely agree with you Ramone. I think this is a loss to the club. A man with a huge fund of experience and knowledge but without an ounce of pretention.

eurogrecian

I don't know what he has brought to city on the coaching front etc, but having chatted to him several times I am certain that he is City right through and will be missed by the Club generally. Deserves a lot more respect than shown by the regular moaners on Exeweb.

Hope we will still see him at the Park in a spectator capacity and I'm sure we will.

Good luck Steve and thanks

Benguin

I never will forget the time he took speaking to my Dad in a cafe. My Dad was very ill with Parkinson's and difficult to understand. He had the manners and patience to hear him and out respond with kindness and humour.

I am also pretty sure as others have mentioned he has brought a vast wealth of knowledge to the club and I thank him.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great man, nice man good luck to him.

Changes at the top ? Tisdale could become the new Director of Football with Matt Oakley as Manager. However, as Tis has said his next job will be outside football this is unlikely so will the club will look to recruit a new DoF ? I think Steve Perryman's departure will cause some headaches.

PeteUSA

For many years, its been widely regarded that Perrymans salary came out of Paul Tisdales playing budget. If thats still the case, it'll be money to add to Tisdales pot in order to buy players.

Terryhall

Echo all of the posts about SP, no doubt in my mind that he has been a positive influence on the club during his time and although I have heard anecdotally that he came back from Japan expecting offers to manage in the top two divisions, and only took the DoF position at ECFC as said offers were not forthcoming, the fact that he stayed at the club for as long as he has demonstrates his loyalty to ECFC (and before anyone brings up his wages, employee loyalty is still a thing even when the employee is paid - how many of us stay 20 years in the same job these days?)

Will be interesting to see how the club responds to his retirement (which even if the article itself is made up nonsense, we should still be aware that it will happen one day) - I'm sure though that the clubs business plan includes an analysis of key person risk and succession planning within an agreed governance model. Right? Guys? Guys....?

iscalad

For many years, its been widely regarded that Perrymans salary came out of Paul Tisdales playing budget. If thats still the case, it'll be money to add to Tisdales pot in order to buy players.
Couldn't bleddy resist could you. Widely regarded, still the case. You don't KNOW so shut up. Steve is a thoroughly decent chap who has done lots of work for our club.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd echo what others have said - I've only had the pleasure of meeting him once, and just when I was about to speak to him (mainly to remember a mutual friend) his phone rang, he had to disappear to take the call. Thinking I'd missed my chance to speak to him, when he finished his call he sought me out to continue the conversation.

If this is indeed the end of the road for him, I wish him a long and happy retirement.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Couldn't bleddy resist could you. Widely regarded, still the case. You don't KNOW so shut up. Steve is a thoroughly decent chap who has done lots of work for our club.
Agree with all the nice things being said here about SP. He's a great bloke, very open, and always has time for a chat.

However, for once Pete is (half) right. The Football Director's funding (he's not an employee but a consultant, officially) comes from the overall football budget controlled by the Manager, though the players budget is a separate part of that overall budget.