Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Perryman retiring

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Re: Steve Perryman retiring

Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    It is most definitely true.
    "Not sure. It might have been Matt Oakley's complaint. I don't believe she's seen Exeter play since!"

How am I meant to know which is correct ?

#confusedofExeter
    Last edited by ramone; 02 January 2018 at 17:13.

I think the young lady concerned was a university student/graduate who reported on the games,and one of the staff took exception to something she had written,I don’t know who it was,but I do believe that hants is correct in what he says about the young lady watching city.

It is not standard practice for any club programme to have criticism of player performances included, even by inference, so it's not hard to see whoever it was who disagreed's point of view on this. You would wonder why it wasn't snuffed out editorially though.

It's a real lack of style that people find it difficult just to leave this thread alone if they don't like SP. He's retiring, just be quiet if you haven't got anything nice to say, a simple matter of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    That's just it though .......... Both you and Hants don't know IF it is true !

Like a lot of things that go on either on here or at the club rumours become facts in a matter of minutes.

These type of posts are why I and some others get defensive towards the club when people tittle tattle what could be seen by others as a malicious post with no basis in fact.
    The bit that is definitely true is that somebody at the club took issue and stopped her writing in the programme. That is the bit that I am talking about when I reference the insular nature of club hierarchy.

I don't know the person so don't know if it is true that she no longer comes to games...and if it is true then that is sad.

I have no issue with people putting forward arguments to support TT&P but irrespective of whether you support them you only need to read the regular comments of all three to see that they refuse to accept or acknowledge any criticism and are obsessed by the idea that this club can only be managed by Paul Tisdale. If you are happy to accept that insular, inward-looking attitude then that is your decision but to ignore it is to be wilfully blind to it.

We all seem to have forgotten how close to oblivion we got three years ago as a direct result of the appalling mis-management of those in charge. We dodged a bullet and now history has been entirely re-written.

Quote Originally Posted by antman View Post

It's a real lack of style that people find it difficult just to leave this thread alone if they don't like SP. He's retiring, just be quiet if you haven't got anything nice to say, a simple matter of respect.
    Sorry antman but this is nonsense.

Firstly it was Perryman that chose to make the comments he made rather than just praising the Trust and thanking them for employing him for ten years.

If people want to take issue with him then why can't they? This is Tisdale all over again. He isn't a God and he hasn't passed away. He has been paid (probably quite well) to do a job without seemingly facing any reason internal scrutiny. He isn't doing us a favour. He is a senior club employee who should be judged on his performance - sadly we don't know what he is tasked with so can only speculate. I'm not sure anybody has said anything particularly out of line.

I'm not talking about the disagreements with the points he made, I'm talking about the questioning of his worth to the club. He's going, so those who don't like him should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bittners a Legend View Post
    The bit that is definitely true is that somebody at the club took issue and stopped her writing in the programme. That is the bit that I am talking about when I reference the insular nature of club hierarchy.

I don't know the person so don't know if it is true that she no longer comes to games...and if it is true then that is sad.

I have no issue with people putting forward arguments to support TT&P but irrespective of whether you support them you only need to read the regular comments of all three to see that they refuse to accept or acknowledge any criticism and are obsessed by the idea that this club can only be managed by Paul Tisdale. If you are happy to accept that insular, inward-looking attitude then that is your decision but to ignore it is to be wilfully blind to it.

We all seem to have forgotten how close to oblivion we got three years ago as a direct result of the appalling mis-management of those in charge. We dodged a bullet and now history has been entirely re-written.
    I do know her and can confirm that it is true. Both she and her mother were big supporters, travelling to nearly every away game together. They still appear in old photographs at the ground, even now. They seriously idolised Tis at one time. I will say no more.
    Last edited by Pete Martin (CTID); 02 January 2018 at 19:25.

Perryman has been good for the club.

He came to us when Blakey was leading us into oblivion and actually managed to steady the ship and saved us for a season. When things really went pear shaped and we had to metamorphosize into a trust run club he again was a valuable football link with our previous existence. I don't think he would have seen it as a money making opportunity, we were very publically skint. He provided a football figurehead to counter all the Michael Jackson, Darth Vadar kind of personality that was blighting the club.

We have made a lot of money out of transfers, sometimes getting much more than I could believe, and I think it was SP's presence and business nounce that helped us get such good deals. Any "expenses" he may have taken would surely be covered by the money he saved us and I wouldn't begrudge him.

I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by antman View Post
    I'm not talking about the disagreements with the points he made, I'm talking about the questioning of his worth to the club. He's going, so those who don't like him should be happy.
    I think on a thread about SP’s imminent retirement it is a good place to discuss the negatives and positives of his time at the club, he did carry out one of the more high profile roles at the club after all.

Quote Originally Posted by STURTZ View Post
    Perryman has been good for the club.

He came to us when Blakey was leading us into oblivion and actually managed to steady the ship and saved us for a season. When things really went pear shaped and we had to metamorphosize into a trust run club he again was a valuable football link with our previous existence. I don't think he would have seen it as a money making opportunity, we were very publically skint. He provided a football figurehead to counter all the Michael Jackson, Darth Vadar kind of personality that was blighting the club.

We have made a lot of money out of transfers, sometimes getting much more than I could believe, and I think it was SP's presence and business nounce that helped us get such good deals. Any "expenses" he may have taken would surely be covered by the money he saved us and I wouldn't begrudge him.

I wish him well.
    So do I. The column inches written over the years regards Steve Perryman's involvement in our club has without doubt put us in a good light. We have as said above been ridiculed for our past association with various unwanted celebs/parasites so SP's involvement has helped. Equally I'm sure as Rightwing said that he has been instrumental in contract negotiations and said himself that club's should never 'undersell' their homegrown talent. He is still to many football people an absolute legend of the game particularly many Spurs fans of a certain age who still idolise him.