Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Perryman retiring

Re: Steve Perryman retiring

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin (CTID) View Post
    Absolutely. Indeed, when PT was appointed there was Trust representation on the interviewing panel and it was with Trust support, way back in 2006, that PT was appointed in the first place.

Frankly, this goes back a long way in my opinion. Whilst they have tolerated Trust control, I don't think the club's football management has ever fully bought into the model.

I have always found that odd because, in any other model, I am not sure that any of the individuals who have been in place all these years would have lasted until now. In fact the level of interference of directors and club boards in the "football business" is often excessive and dwarfs that of a supporters' trust.

Cages were undoubtedly rattled last year over the manager's contract issue and have since been shaken in other ways.

It always seems to me that any comment or attempted involvement of the Trust in the football side of the business is not viewed with any enthusiasm if it interferes with the status quo.

Onwards and upwards!

Pete & John, My question is why have you & others elected on the trust board allowed tagg & co so much control of the club that it's got to this point now.

You may have rattled them but they are still laughing at the trust because the trust allow taggy to do what he wants.

So who are the real owners of the club in your eyes as many fans feel tagg is the owner and he acts like he owns it.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Red View Post
    Pete & John, My question is why have you and others elected on the trust board allowed Tagg & Co so much control of the club that it's got to this point now. You may have rattled them but they are still laughing at the trust because the trust allows taggy to do what he wants.
    I totally agree NR. Why indeed have the above been allowed to continue to do whatever they want, with apparently little or no resistance from the trust? I noticed a big banner being held aloft by fans during the Barnet match which proclamed: 'We own our football club'. If thats really the case, why has the position regarding Tagg been allowed to continue without opposition? How on earth did that situation arise in the first place? Was he progressively voted to the position that he continues to hold? I'm not suggesting that there has ever been any R&L type jiggery pokery in the past, nor do I believe theres anything untoward going on now. I'm sure Tagg being at the top of the heap was arrived at through the proper democratic channels; my question is: Why is he apparently unmovable from the position? What process occured whereby he seems to be untouchable, with a free reign? No matter what anybody says, Tagg doesnt appear to be generally mega popular. So what keeps him in the job? Does he keep getting successfully voted into the position, or doesnt that apply with him?

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Red View Post
    Pete & John, My question is why have you & others elected on the trust board allowed tagg & co so much control of the club that it's got to this point now.

You may have rattled them but they are still laughing at the trust because the trust allow taggy to do what he wants.

So who are the real owners of the club in your eyes as many fans feel tagg is the owner and he acts like he owns it.
    The Trust Board is there to represent the inerests of the 3,000+ members. Where is the evidence that TT & P have not, by and large, acted in the interests of the membership? The Trust has always devolved the running of the football side of the business to PT and his staff. He is answerable to the club board (50% of which is made up of Trust Board 'delegates'). Neither he nor his staff are directly answerable to the Trust Board. That's how it works.

Whilst, as I have said, I don't think there is a 100% 'buy in' to the Trust model, I have no doubt that all the individuals have always acted in the best interests of the football club. Equally, it is indisputable that the club has moved further forward in the past almost 15 years under majority Trust ownership than in the previous 100+ years. It is on the Trust's watch that the current football side of the business has been assembled and operates.

I do feel that there is some restlessness amongst the football management team that the club isn't moving forward fast enough for their ambitions and some would like to see outside investment brought in. If it ever were to happen, that in turn, might result in the Trust (and ultimately the supporters) losing some, or all, of their say in how the club is run

The bottom line is that the Trust is a democracy. If members want change (of any kind) they can propose motions, stand for election to the Trust Board. Ultimately the support they get will be demonstrated by the support they get from the membership at large.

The irony is that some of the vocal minority who constantly bleat on that the Trust isn't doing this or isn't doing that aren't even Trust members. Arizona Pete is a case in point. When you get involved in club/trust mechanics, as I have been for 14 years, you get to see that nothing is as black and white as it might appear to the casual onlooker and it is seriously hard work, for both Trust and Club, keeping the good ship ECFC afloat and on course.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Would be interested to hear Russell and Ramone's comments on the views expressed in unison above. Rather than jumping on Pate USA perhaps they can reply to the posts by Malcs, Pete Martin, Don't Pass Back, Tavyred, Sexton Blake etc. on these very important matters? Do they agree wirh the c9mments above?

Health and happiness to all in 2018 and forever. Always remember that looking after you and yours' health is number one.
    Some of those people who are now having a pop at Steve especially are the ones who have stood there for numerous years shaking his hand every game !

Ex Trust board members seem to be the ones with pitchforks out shouting the loudest , well if you feel that way why didn't you bring it up with the fanbase when you were in office ? I lost faith in the Trust many years ago because of various things I heard and stopped all payments.

With Steve's comments yes they do seem a little strange but as has been said he does sometimes put his foot in it but having said that a comment from an ex player always springs to mind " There's only so many times you can get kicked in the balls before you realise to stop trying to help and give up" Maybe Steve like others in charge up there are fed up with the constant bitching from people on social media when trying to do good, The update on SJP works is a classic case of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin (CTID) View Post
    Hi

The Trust Board is there to represent the inerests of the 3,000+ members. Where is the evidence that TT & P have not, by and large, acted in the interests of the membership? The Trust has always devolved the running of the football side of the business to PT and his staff. He is answerable to the club board (50% of which is made up of Trust Board 'delegates'). Neither he nor his staff are directly answerable to the Trust Board. That's how it works.

Whilst, as I have said, I don't think there is a 100% 'buy in' to the Trust model, I have no doubt that all the individuals have always acted in the best interests of the football club. Equally, it is indisputable that the club has moved further forward in the past almost 15 years under majority Trust ownership than in the previous 100+ years. It is on the Trust's watch that the current football side of the business has been assembled and operates.

I do feel that there is some restlessness amongst the football management team that the club isn't moving forward fast enough for their ambitions and some would like to see outside investment brought in. If it ever were to happen, that in turn, might result in the Trust (and ultimately the supporters) losing some, or all, of their say in how the club is run

The bottom line is that the Trust is a democracy. If members want change (of any kind) they can propose motions, stand for election to the Trust Board. Ultimately the support they get will be demonstrated by the support they get from the membership at large.

The irony is that some of the vocal minority who constantly bleat on that the Trust isn't doing this or isn't doing that aren't even Trust members. Arizona Pete is a case in point. When you get involved in club/trust mechanics, as I have been for 14 years, you get to see that nothing is as black and white as it might appear to the casual onlooker and it is seriously hard work, for both Trust and Club, keeping the good ship ECFC afloat and on course.

Hear, hear well said Pete and an excellent, well written post from somebody who does, and has done, so much off the field, for ECFC.

None of make 100% correct decisions, but Pete's post no 53 is a really good start to 2018 as far as I'm concerned. Do some at the Club feel held back by Trust ownership? Yes, probably, but then some Trust members would be amongst those who'd like to see more money within the Club also. There's a balance to be struck and no model of ownership is entirely right or wrong - it will depend on the individual or individuals involved. I'm thankful for the last dozen or so years of Trust control and thankful also that we have thoughtful and considered individuals helping to push us forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Holloway View Post
    [/I]
    Hear, hear well said Pete and an excellent, well written post from somebody who does, and has done, so much off the field, for ECFC.
    I agree, but then I have a lot of time for Pete. Not too much in the way of explaining Taggs situation; so could I ask one question: What keeps Tagg in the chairmans role ongoing? IMHO, he does give out the impression that he owns the club, as somebody already said above.
    Be that as it may though, how long is his stint in the chair going to last, and what is the procedure in him being replaced? Quite a simple question I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    Some of those people who are now having a pop at Steve especially are the ones who have stood there for numerous years shaking his hand every game !

Ex Trust board members seem to be the ones with pitchforks out shouting the loudest , well if you feel that way why didn't you bring it up with the fanbase when you were in office ? I lost faith in the Trust many years ago because of various things I heard and stopped all payments.

With Steve's comments yes they do seem a little strange but as has been said he does sometimes put his foot in it but having said that a comment from an ex player always springs to mind " There's only so many times you can get kicked in the balls before you realise to stop trying to help and give up" Maybe Steve like others in charge up there are fed up with the constant bitching from people on social media when trying to do good, The update on SJP works is a classic case of this.
    Thanks for your reply, Ramone. I think you should know that I personally have no axe to grind regarding Steve Perryman. Never met the bloke, people say he's a nice guy, and I think on this thread i said he deserves to retire in peace after his long and successful career. I also have praised Tagg for his foresight in insisting on maintaining the academy when others wanted to disband it. What has irritated me is the perception that Tisdale especially has some kind of entitlement to a rolling contract - I don't believe he has and don't think he should be peeved that the roller has been terminated. City has been very loyal to him in the way that most clubs would not have been and I think Tis should be thankful. I also think Taggy is gradually learning to be a bit more open and transparent as a result of pressure from the Trust to be so.
    My gripe with you and Matt Russell is that you come across as being very subjective in your support of the management and won't accept any criticism. Even if someone says the pitch is bumpy you automatically assume the poster is criticising. I have absolutely no agenda, am not obsessed like Pate (sorry Pate) about the politics, but just like to call a spade a spade. Been crazy about Exeter City since I was 8 and the feeling never changes.

Lets get the thread back on track.

I don't know Steve Perryman, but his contribution to City has been invaluable, some may argue immeasurable, and whether his alleged "salary" was to high we can debate all day however what is fact is that he has been part of the leadership team that has given Exeter City football club the most successful period in our history.

How will his departure affect us lets wait and see.

Re: Steve Perry man retiring

Quote Originally Posted by denzil View Post
    Still find it hard to believe that we've had an ex player of the calibre of Steve Perryman at the Club for nigh on 20 years !!! He will be missed.

I await the trolls who will start saying how much he has taken out of ECFC but then how much has he actually contributed in know how ?
    Well said, he's been a loyal servant and deserves the recognition