Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

Re: SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Holloway View Post
    I like this man's ambition, oh that a few more Exewebbers were as optimistic of ECFC's chances.
    We have 0.1% chance of getting to the Premier League in my lifetime, and I'm in my 20s. The point of the post was to say that, if a stadium is good enough to host Champions League matches, surely it'd be good enough for League One / the Championship.

All this talk of Premiership and Championship is making I giddy.

Before popping me clogs I'd be more than happy with a lengthy stay in L1 in the new look SJP, never was overly ambitious.

Every time there's any discussion about the ground capacity someone comes on and says we don't need it as we never fill the ground anyway. This strikes me as such a shortsighted ambitionless standpoint and one that often backed up by the most extreme of examples. I don't think anyone is suggesting we need a 20,000 seater stadium, but if we really would like to climb the leagues, and I think the Championship is realistically our ceiling, you can bet your life more people will want to come and watch. Personally I believe based on our history and geography that 12,000 would be a sensible size as its enough to accommodate the crowds I believe would be likely were we to reach the championship and to make the most of big games, but small enough that if we find ourselves back or still in L2, we wouldn't be rattling around in an empty stadium like Notts Co for example.

In all honesty I don't believe that now we are actually having the ground redeveloped, its likely that any time in the next 50 years we'll see any further development, and this is why I was a little underwhelmed by the plans when first announced, as I felt it was a case of do it now or accept that this is as good as it'll ever get. I hope I'm wrong, but I simply don't believe that the future work talked about extending stands and filling in the corners will ever happen, Thats a shame because were the Cowshed to be joined to the bank and a brand new away stand built and joined to the cowshed and new grandstand, we may well get close to the 12,000 capacity that I believe would provide us with enough space for all occasions.

As it is we've got what we've got and I'm looking forward to seeing the ground with the new grandstand and a covered away terrace.

Maybe we could do a Lincoln style thing and have small, specifically-sized stands to fill in the gaps - if and when we need them?

Quote Originally Posted by fred binneys head View Post
    Maybe we could do a Lincoln style thing and have small, specifically-sized stands to fill in the gaps - if and when we need them?
    Could we do it cricket style, and you bring your own deck chairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bill View Post
    Every time there's any discussion about the ground capacity someone comes on and says we don't need it as we never fill the ground anyway. This strikes me as such a shortsighted ambitionless standpoint and one that often backed up by the most extreme of examples. I don't think anyone is suggesting we need a 20,000 seater stadium, but if we really would like to climb the leagues, and I think the Championship is realistically our ceiling, you can bet your life more people will want to come and watch. Personally I believe based on our history and geography that 12,000 would be a sensible size as its enough to accommodate the crowds I believe would be likely were we to reach the championship and to make the most of big games, but small enough that if we find ourselves back or still in L2, we wouldn't be rattling around in an empty stadium like Notts Co for example.

In all honesty I don't believe that now we are actually having the ground redeveloped, its likely that any time in the next 50 years we'll see any further development, and this is why I was a little underwhelmed by the plans when first announced, as I felt it was a case of do it now or accept that this is as good as it'll ever get. I hope I'm wrong, but I simply don't believe that the future work talked about extending stands and filling in the corners will ever happen, Thats a shame because were the Cowshed to be joined to the bank and a brand new away stand built and joined to the cowshed and new grandstand, we may well get close to the 12,000 capacity that I believe would provide us with enough space for all occasions.

As it is we've got what we've got and I'm looking forward to seeing the ground with the new grandstand and a covered away terrace.
    Thanks Red Bill. Ive been trying to make similar points throughout this thread. Personally I think our seating capacity will be too small (we have just about the fewest number of seats in the league) and Id like it to be possible to move boundaries to accommodate more away fans when possible/desirable. The zero cost of the redevelopment is fantastic, but what could we have done if wed have been willing to invest say 1m into additional development? What about 2m? Could that have provided facilities that would then generate additional income. If those kind of options were explored and dismissed then great. I fear they werent.

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but I think it broadly comes under the scope of it - will the club be removing the stencil of JMT that adorns the training ground (alongside Watkins, Pym and I think Ampadu)? Not sure he should be seen as an example for our young players to look up to, would much rather have Storey up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
    ...... but what could we have done if wed have been willing to invest say 1m into additional development? What about 2m? Could that have provided facilities that would then generate additional income. If those kind of options were explored and dismissed then great. I fear they werent.
    But what if the money wasn't there to invest? The plans for the redevelopment we have were drawn up 3+ years ago. None of the money we have received from the sale of academy products was available, nor, more importantly, even guaranteed, back then.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but a tad unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bill View Post

Don't worry. When I win 150m on the Euro millions I'll buy up all the properties on St James Road, knock them down and build an 8,000 capacity stand with a road tunnel underneath

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Just knock em down SRJ ............ bloody students watching games without paying lol