• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

David Treharne

With the best will in the world, middle aged (and above!) blokes will have little idea about what are current life style choices for the majority of students, faced as they are with staggering tuition and accommodation fees and spiralling debt. If you can stay awake long enough I would recommend a visit to either The Co-op on Pennsylvania Road or Saunders stores on Union Road at about midnight on a Friday to do some research. An ample demonstration of how much things have changed since they (we) reeled home from the pub. Pub for £3+ per pint or a shared bottle of gin/vodka/rum followed up by some tinnies at about £4 for 6? They even pre-load on 'club' nights which are increasingly centred around the start of the week. Pubs are for top ups.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I concur with David. I live in an area with a high student population but you’d barely know they were here most of the time. When I moved in I did wonder how many times I’d be woken up by drunken antics in the street at 2am and in the 8 months I’ve lived here I can’t remember it happening once.

Someone let their dog do a massive **** outside my front door yesterday but that’s unlikely to have been a student.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Afraid you are out of date. Exeter's many coffee bars are full of students. Even when I was a student in the early 70s we never had beer for breakfast, although my brother and his mates at Manchester did - bottles of Guinness. Their motto was "you should never eat on an empty stomach."
Going a little way to proving my point that making the underneath of the new stand into a café for local people / students wouldn't have worked out as they don't want to be far from the very centre of town instead of on the fringes.

Antony Moxey

Someone let their dog do a massive **** outside my front door yesterday but that’s unlikely to have been a student.
Apt username. However, I think you're correct: it was probably the dog.

Red Bill

Going a little way to proving my point that making the underneath of the new stand into a café for local people / students wouldn't have worked out as they don't want to be far from the very centre of town instead of on the fringes.
Wow! You should be a Tory MP, that really is quite incredible work to draw that conclusion from John's comment. Well done, Philip Hammond's got nothing on you!

PeteUSA

What area do you live in Lionel? Wasnt it more likely to be a neighbour?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Any new updates to be picked apart ?

ScrumpyJack

Typical Exeter City, small minded.....

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
We should start selling beer at half time on the big bank.
It would make so much revenue.

It's the easiest way to generate income and yet we never talk about it.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We should start selling beer at half time on the big bank.
It would make so much revenue.

It's the easiest way to generate income and yet we never talk about it.
Perhaps because it's illegal.

You cannot sell or consume alcohol within sight of the pitch between 15 minutes of the start of the game and 15 minutes after it ends. They have to draw the blinds in the Heritage Lounge, boxes etc. hospitality to ensure this is enforced.

There are I believe plans to have a wet bar in the "triangle" area, as this can be done out of sight of the pitch, but I'm not sure if these are firmed up yet. If so stewards would have to stop people taking drinks onto the BB.