• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re: Update on the SJP works

Can I ask when plan a was unveiled had network rail been approached? Those plans were for a stand which extended a lot further down the touchline.
Plan A was still within the constraints of our own land. Plan A also planned for the stand to be moved forward. The current plans are a cheap option which avoided the costs in excavating a greater volume of soil and to a lower level. Retaining walls would have been built with Plan A - obviously avoided with the current plans.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Plan A was still within the constraints of our own land. Plan A also planned for the stand to be moved forward. The current plans are a cheap option which avoided the costs in excavating a greater volume of soil and to a lower level. Retaining walls would have been built with Plan A - obviously avoided with the current plans.
Though now there are excavations happening anyway.

You have missed out some of the other challenges with Plan A, didn't this option include dismantling the Doble stand brick by brick and rebuilding it over the footprint of the away end?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong

You have missed out some of the other challenges with Plan A, didn't this option include dismantling the Doble stand brick by brick and rebuilding it over the footprint of the away end?

Where did that stupid idea come from ?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster

You appear to be confused between Plan A and my Plan B.

Boyo

You appear to be confused between Plan A and my Plan B.
Images of Plan A can be seen here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=661500&page=351

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster

Nothing but.....

Pie in the sky.jpg

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Re: SJP redevelpoment Plan A/B discussion

Maybe, at the time though it was announced to the public as a serious proposal. If it was never going to get off the ground why did it get as far as being officially announced by those in charge?

Benguin

As i was driving under the Clifton Suspension bridge earlier i thought if someone proposed that today people like you would say "No chance, pie in the sky". That is part of the trouble with Britain today, no ambition.
I thought plan A was superb and as unlikely as it was to happen at least there were people with a vision to try something.

Now, i applaud the pragmatism of those who got plan B through to actually happening but don't knock those with a vision.

It seems that as those at the top of society shave off their significant earnings those of us below have to settle for mediocrity and then be thankful.

With a little bit of can do attitude amazing things have been created in this country and hopefully ambitious people can still achieve something that future generations can look back on with pride, much
as i look at the Clifton Suspension bridge and marvel at the ingenuity of those who built it.

Last edited:

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster

As i was driving under the Clifton Suspension bridge earlier i thought if someone proposed that today people like you would say "No chance, pie in the sky". That is part of the trouble with Britain today, no ambition.
I thought plan A was superb and as unlikely as it was to happen at least there were people with a vision to try something.

Now, i applaud the pragmatism of those who got plan B through to actually happening but don't knock those with a vision.

It seems that as those at the top of society shave off their significant earnings those of us below have to settle for mediocrity and then be thankful.

With a little bit of can do attitude amazing things have been created in this country and hopefully ambitious people can still achieve something that future generations can look back on with pride, much
as i look at the Clifton Suspension bridge and marvel at the ingenuity of those who built it.
Great post Benguin, I certainly share those sentiments. Plan A could easily have happened if those in charge had pulled their fingers out at the appropriate time. It was certainly financially viable in the early stages of planning.