Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

Re: Update on the SJP works

Quote Originally Posted by Colesman Ballz View Post
    Certainly, I believe that it will be relatively simple to extend towards St James Road, but in the direction of the Big Bank, it would fall under the category of "ever diminishing returns" for somewhat obvious reasons !
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    I wonder how far you’d be able to get before it became no longer viable. The OG in its original location had a fairly large corner cut off from the back because of the jungle path, there must be a point to which it becomes a waste of time and money to continue it towards the BB for the sake of literally a couple of seats.

Also, you’d have to look at whether it was necessary to extend it at all - I’d say in the last ten years we’ve sold out no more than a handful of times, unless we’re getting to capacity, or very close to capacity, a number of times a season then why would we build an extra number of empty seats?
    I might be wrong on this but extending the stand might create additional covered space which might serve some purpose (although I'm not sure what).

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by Benguin View Post
    Although i believe there are aspirations in the future to extend the New Grandstand into the triangular piece of land and complete more permanent toilet facilities etc for the BB under the additional seats.
    I wonder if the land will prepared at this stage if money becomes available in the future to extend the stand?
    It would really complete the ground having the stand extend nearly all the way along that touchline although at least the new stand will start pretty much level with the away end goal line.
    I would like to see the stand go a little further along towards the BB , but until its financially, physically worthwhile in doing so we make do with the quirky stand we have mate.

Anything has to be an improvement over the OG , I'm not as sentimentally attached to the OG as obviously others are having spent most of my time in the BB and the cowshed beforehand, Tell you what lets wait and see what it all looks like once done and dusted ?

I think we all know it'll look unusual, but that's the nature of the space we have.
    You're right with financially viability - Pretty sure there are all sorts of clever cantilevered design ideas out there, but until we get anywhere close to regularly exceeding the capacity the new stand gives, what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    I would like to see the stand go a little further along towards the BB , but until its financially, physically worthwhile in doing so we make do with the quirky stand we have mate.

Anything has to be an improvement over the OG , I'm not as sentimentally attached to the OG as obviously others are having spent most of my time in the BB and the cowshed beforehand, Tell you what lets wait and see what it all looks like once done and dusted ?
    That's essentially what i said.
    If money becomes available it would be nice to extend the stand and i agree with you, i didn't really have an attachment to the OG either having stood in the Cowshed and now sitting in the Old New Grandstand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
    I think we all know it'll look unusual, but that's the nature of the space we have.
    You're right with financially viability - Pretty sure there are all sorts of clever cantilevered design ideas out there, but until we get anywhere close to regularly exceeding the capacity the new stand gives, what's the problem?
    The cantilevers aren’t the problem, it’s gaining permission from Network Rail to build something overhanging their land.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    I suspect that corner is the one that Angus is refering to, since the new stand will already be in line with the byline when its built. Unfortunately the other end of it only goes as far as the middle of the centre circle, leaving a farcical gap, no matter how you look at it.
    Isn't the middle of the centre circle called something?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Ronnie Jepson View Post
    Isn't the middle of the centre circle called something?
    Yes - and that's what is so confusing, it's full of people drinking beer and cider.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    The cantilevers arenít the problem, itís gaining permission from Network Rail to build something overhanging their land.
    How right you are. One would only fully understand the sheer obduracy of Network Rail if you've ever had any dealings with them. They are the primary reason, for example, why pedestrians from Willey's Avenue coming into Alphington Road don't have the benefit of a tunnel on that side to go towards Alphington. It would involve burrowing under a railway line. Just try getting their approval to overhang it.

Can I ask when plan a was unveiled had network rail been approached? Those plans were for a stand which extended a lot further down the touchline.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin (CTID) View Post
    How right you are. One would only fully understand the sheer obduracy of Network Rail if you've ever had any dealings with them. They are the primary reason, for example, why pedestrians from Willey's Avenue coming into Alphington Road don't have the benefit of a tunnel on that side to go towards Alphington. It would involve burrowing under a railway line. Just try getting their approval to overhang it.
    Fair comment Pete........even Roman Abramovich has problems with them.

/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/delays-with-new-stadium-see-chelsea-push-back-their-move-out-of-stamford-bridge-to-2019-a3530486.htm