• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

Langer

If it wasn't for the old secret handshake club it would be a listed building.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re: Update on the SJP works

Why? It was of no historical or architectural merit. It was an eyesore even in the early 70s when I first started going to SJP. Leaning, perhaps, but listed, no.

And I doubt if the tickly handshake brigade were at all interested or would have had any influence even if they were.

Even the St James Forum didn't try to suggest it should be preserved as part of their campaign to stop the student development.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster

If latest revelations about the foundations are correct it should have been a listed building. By how many degrees I wouldn't like to guess.

Angus

SJP redevelpoment Plan A/B discussion

I've been hiding away from all the redevelopment news as frankly I've not been interested until now. Out of curiosity will the new design have the option for maybe one day in the bright future to allow the corners to be built so we can upgrade again?

Colesman Ballz

I've been hiding away from all the redevelopment news as frankly I've not been interested until now. Out of curiosity will the new design have the option for maybe one day in the bright future to allow the corners to be built so we can upgrade again?
Certainly, I believe that it will be relatively simple to extend towards St James Road, but in the direction of the Big Bank, it would fall under the category of "ever diminishing returns" for somewhat obvious reasons !

PeteUSA

Certainly, I believe that it will be relatively simple to extend towards St James Road, but in the direction of the Big Bank, it would fall under the category of "ever diminishing returns" for somewhat obvious reasons !
I suspect that corner is the one that Angus is refering to, since the new stand will already be in line with the byline when its built. Unfortunately the other end of it only goes as far as the middle of the centre circle, leaving a farcical gap, no matter how you look at it.

Antony Moxey

I doubt you’d ever be able to fill the corner between the OG and the BB. The BB already has that side of the stand built on an angle rather than square because of the proximity of the site boundary and what with the jungle path not being ours the corner flag is literally only a few feet in from our boundary with Network Rail.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster

The fact that the ground is on such an odd shaped site, gives it character. There are too many identikit bowls these days, its nice that our place is different and in its original location. It works within its environment.

Benguin

I doubt you’d ever be able to fill the corner between the OG and the BB. The BB already has that side of the stand built on an angle rather than square because of the proximity of the site boundary and what with the jungle path not being ours the corner flag is literally only a few feet in from our boundary with Network Rail.
Although i believe there are aspirations in the future to extend the New Grandstand into the triangular piece of land and complete more permanent toilet facilities etc for the BB under the additional seats.
I wonder if the land will prepared at this stage if money becomes available in the future to extend the stand?
It would really complete the ground having the stand extend nearly all the way along that touchline although at least the new stand will start pretty much level with the away end goal line.

Antony Moxey

Although i believe there are aspirations in the future to extend the New Grandstand into the triangular piece of land and complete more permanent toilet facilities etc for the BB under the additional seats.
I wonder if the land will prepared at this stage if money becomes available in the future to extend the stand?
It would really complete the ground having the stand extend nearly all the way along that touchline although at least the new stand will start pretty much level with the away end goal line.
I wonder how far you’d be able to get before it became no longer viable. The OG in its original location had a fairly large corner cut off from the back because of the jungle path, there must be a point to which it becomes a waste of time and money to continue it towards the BB for the sake of literally a couple of seats.

Also, you’d have to look at whether it was necessary to extend it at all - I’d say in the last ten years we’ve sold out no more than a handful of times, unless we’re getting to capacity, or very close to capacity, a number of times a season then why would we build an extra number of empty seats?