• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The pitch at SJP

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale has made a couple of negative comments recently about our pitch and I read today that he's praising the FGR pitch at the weekend, saying how quick it was and how he wished we could play on a pitch like that every week.

So my question is why is our pitch so poor? I thought we had replaced it recently, having a decent drainage system put in? Surely if FGR can do it so can we?

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Largely because the usual scheduled summer maintenance which is done each year and sees pitch levelling with soil and sand and new grass being seeded to be ready for late August was prevented this year.

Playoffs & redevelopment combined being the reason.

IndoMike

How bad is the pitch? Doesit cut up easily? Is it very bumpy?

Terryhall

Ironic that criticism of the pitch should come at the time that our home form has improved.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sort it out Pringlethorpe!

Boyo

Isn't there a high percentage of clay in Exeter soil, which is poor at draining - particularly when you have 22 blokes running around on it and compressing it.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn't there a high percentage of clay in Exeter soil, which is poor at draining - particularly when you have 22 blokes running around on it and compressing it.
Shouldn't matter since its theres a solid 2ft of sand over the pitch... the grass roots dont penetrate deep enough to actually tag anything other than the uppermost topsoil.

citizen

Happy with the Pitch if its proving an advantage to us!
I expect Mr Tisdale is giving us some advanced warning that some of the new found wealth will be spent on the pitch after the stands are finished.
UTC

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale has made a couple of negative comments recently about our pitch and I read today that he's praising the FGR pitch at the weekend, saying how quick it was and how he wished we could play on a pitch like that every week.

So my question is why is our pitch so poor? I thought we had replaced it recently, having a decent drainage system put in? Surely if FGR can do it so can we?
Oh no. Tisdale to Forest Green.

elginCity

Oh no. Tisdale to Forest Green.
Another long term building job, a proposed new flashy eco stadium, superior playing surface, a ‘green’ club with wealthy backer right in his own back yard. Once the lengthy commute becomes a real bind, stranger things...