• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January transfer window 2018

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
With a month to go before the transfer window opens do we need to do any business ?

I would like to see a couple of our players returning from injury go out on loan and for our two West Brom boys to extend to the end of the season. Sweeney has been a success at RB but do we need cover there ? I reckon we will have a quiet January.

godisagrecian

Would like to think we could do with at least a back-up keeper.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Would like to think we could do with at least a back-up keeper.
Why do we need three keepers? It was overkill the last couple of seasons when Bobby was here.

I think if we can extend the loans of Wilson and Edwards we're pretty much good to go.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why do we need three keepers? It was overkill the last couple of seasons when Bobby was here.

I think if we can extend the loans of Wilson and Edwards we're pretty much good to go.
Unless both Croll and Troy Brown are out for very long periods, which sounds like it might be the case. If so, we will need cover at CB. I hope Egan's loan at Dorchester has advanced his development enough to be the cover at RB if Wilson is recalled by WBA.

If we had injuries to Pym and Hamon we could get an emergency loan in, that's allowed under the transfer window rules.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Unless both Croll and Troy Brown are out for very long periods, which sounds like it might be the case. If so, we will need cover at CB. I hope Egan's loan at Dorchester has advanced his development enough to be the cover at RB if Wilson is recalled by WBA.

If we had injuries to Pym and Hamon we could get an emergency loan in, that's allowed under the transfer window rules.
Yes, CB could be a worry if Brown is out long term (TAH unlikely to be able to cover over a sustained period) although I think Tillson is due to be fairly close to a return and could provide cover if needed.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, CB could be a worry if Brown is out long term (TAH unlikely to be able to cover over a sustained period) although I think Tillson is due to be fairly close to a return and could provide cover if needed.
Tillson is wasted at CB, we need him to play in front of the defence, especially away where he does the simple but necessary stuff. He was badly missed in recent games at Mansfield and Chesterfield, and I suspect at Crawley though I gave that one a miss.

TAH seems to be best in a back 3.

Red Bill

It still concerns me that we don't have a recognised RB so that would be good, but otherwise a bit of creativity in midfield would be nice. I still think Harley has a lot to offer, but his injuries seem to stop him from getting back to anywhere near the player he was, so I think a hunt for a replacement would be sensible although I'm not sure how realistic that is.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
It still concerns me that we don't have a recognised RB
Wilson is a right-back, and Sweeney must surely now be considered a right-back given he played there for a entire season.

Taylor could also cover there if those two were injured.

Red Bill

Wilson is a right-back, and Sweeney must surely now be considered a right-back given he played there for a entire season.

Taylor could also cover there if those two were injured.
I think Sweeney has done well, but I'm not totally convinced by him there and Wilson isn't our player and could be recalled. Taylor may 'cover' there but he definitely isn't a right back. One of my problems with Tisdale is that he's always trying to convert someone to play a position instead of recruiting someone who knows a position well. Davies, McCreedy etc have actually done ok when they've been played there, but there have been occasions with all those converts when in my opinion there lack of familiarity with the position has been exposed and it cost us.

Matt Russell

Very much need to know about the position regarding our two WBA loan players before deciding on any new players. Suspect we'll have been having ongoing discussions about both of them fairly regularly and we should have an idea of WBA's intentions before the transfer window opens. All of this is complicated by their change of manager of course.