• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Black Friday

Grecian68

I think the Club Shop has missed a trick on Black Friday, they could have offered free postage as a Black Friday deal, think they'd have done some business from Grecian's that do not live in Exeter.

Terryhall

I actually really dislike the spread of Black Friday. In the US it makes sense as shops want to encourage shoppers to spend money that they didn't spend on the Thursday due to Thanksgiving (similar to the January Sales in the UK). Everywhere else in the world, it is just bandwagon jumping of the highest order and I'm not a fan of it.

I'm actually deliberately spending money today at one particular shop in Switzerland which publicly stated it is having nothing to do with Black Friday and has no special offers at all (other than those that it would have anyway had on the 24th of November, which outside of the US is not a special day at all (unless it is your birthday or anniversary or whatever)).

Grecian68

I actually really dislike the spread of Black Friday. In the US it makes sense as shops want to encourage shoppers to spend money that they didn't spend on the Thursday due to Thanksgiving (similar to the January Sales in the UK). Everywhere else in the world, it is just bandwagon jumping of the highest order and I'm not a fan of it.

I'm actually deliberately spending money today at one particular shop in Switzerland which publicly stated it is having nothing to do with Black Friday and has no special offers at all (other than those that it would have anyway had on the 24th of November, which outside of the US is not a special day at all (unless it is your birthday or anniversary or whatever)).
I don't agree with Black Friday because some buy stuff that they don't need just because they think it's a bargain.
But, the club could jump on the bandwagon in some way.
I'm sure Grecians elsewhere in the Country and overseas would have appreciated it.

Terryhall

The question is whether it would be worthwhile for the club to make the offers. If you get more business than you otherwise would have, and the customer gets a better deal, then it's worth doing and win-win. But the concept of business offering discounts or offers just because it is Black Friday and ultimately losing money as a result, just doesn't make any commercial sense. I guess for our club shop, there would need to be a proper cost/benefit analysis to see whether the cost of offering a deal such as free postage, would be covered by the extra sales that would be made as a result of the offer (and without having any concept of what the turnover or volume of daily deals might be through our club shop, my guess would be that it wouldn't)

More broadly, I just read an article indicating that although there has been an increase in sales activity of 29% so far today, the actual amount spent by consumers has only increased by 3%, suggesting that it may not ultimately prove to be worthwhile for the businesses offering the deals.

Interesting that Next (who have previously resisted Black Friday) are offering deals today - but have said very clearly that they are doing so using up stock that would otherwise have been held back for the Boxing Day sale - so basically consumers getting a deal today means less of a deal in the Boxing Day sales.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I'd be happy if the club shop just sorted the postage out. You know, charge what it actually costs. The very high postage charges is why I - and presumably others - don't buy from there on a regular basis. They're finally beginning to sort out and expand the range of merchandise available through the website. There are several little odds and sods I'd purchase if the postage wasn't more than the item.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'd be happy if the club shop just sorted the postage out. You know, charge what it actually costs. The very high postage charges is why I - and presumably others - don't buy from there on a regular basis. They're finally beginning to sort out and expand the range of merchandise available through the website. There are several little odds and sods I'd purchase if the postage wasn't more than the item.
The calendars will be available soon. They have a specific cost in terms of postage and packaging. Would be great if they gave an online price of say £8.55 including p&p.

Terryhall

Postage costs at any online shop are more than just the stamp and the envelope, just to play devil's advocate. Typically it includes other amortised running costs such as Web hosting, staff time to pick, pack and post, etc. The smaller the retailer, the lower the volume, the more those general running costs affect the P&P cost.

No idea if that logic specifically applies to the ECFC shop but it was always a factor at other online businesses I've been involved with.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I know, TH. However, I would suggest £1.50 would be nearer the mark for a wee badge then the £6 there or thereabouts the club shop charges for posting it.
A while back I ordered a metal St James plaque and, I think, one other small item. The postage came out at £14.00! Whittled down to £7.00 when I complained. But still above the £2.45 actual stamp postage so, in that instance, £3.50 would have been more appropriate.
(I refer only to UK postage).

Last edited: