• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Away goals rule

Legohead

Banned
I've thought now for quite a while that this rule is outdated, often unfair, often spoils potentially exciting ties and should be scrapped.

Just take the Northern Ireland v Switzerland WC Qualifier in which a ridiculous penalty was given against NI and Switzerland get an away goal when it should have been 0-0. The away goal is supposed to encourage the away team to attack but often and away team can defend, perhaps get an own goal, a goal out of absolutely nothing or even a penalty from a dubious decision and it changes the whole face of a tie and in favour of the team who still don't deserve it.

Also in a deciding game in a tie where the away team scores then the home team have to score twice. If the away team score 2 then the home team have to score 4 which is completely ridiculous.

A goal is just that. A goal. Not two goals for the price of one.

Anyone with me on this?

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes. Players travel the world regularly these days whether for European or International fixtures or pre and post season foreign tours. They’re used to first class travel and accommodation whether playing home or away so to me it makes no difference for Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea et al whether they’re playing in Manchester or London or Paris, Madrid or Moscow. To me there’s no advantage to playing at home so results away from home shouldn’t be weighted.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just one thing. If the away team score two, the home team need to score three not four to win as the away goals only count double in the event of a draw.

I think....

Legohead

Banned
Last night a case in point. Ireland go 2-1 down to the Danes and suddenly have to find two goals so they bring on two attacking midfielders in desperation for holding midfielders and the Danes get a 4th and with 20 minutes to go the game is finished as if it weren't already at 3-1 due to the away goal rule. The fans get ripped off as nearly a quarter of the game is pointless. Scrap the rule. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Well without the rule they’d still need two goals to win.

Legohead

Banned
Well without the rule they’d still need two goals to win.
Obviously but without the rule they would only need 1 to stay in the tie and could gradually change tactics and personnel as the clock ticks down should they still require the one goal. Going 2 goals down requires you to go a bit gung ho straight away and you leave the door open for that killer 3rd from which there is no come back with the away goals rule.

Antony Moxey

Obviously but without the rule they would only need 1 to stay in the tie and could gradually change tactics and personnel as the clock ticks down should they still require the one goal. Going 2 goals down requires you to go a bit gung ho straight away and you leave the door open for that killer 3rd from which there is no come back with the away goals rule.
No it doesn’t. They had plenty of time and once they got one then it’s game on with pretty much next goal wins. In this particular case I think it made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Legohead

Banned
No it doesn’t. They had plenty of time and once they got one then it’s game on with pretty much next goal wins. In this particular case I think it made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
Yes but if the first leg ended 0-0 and if the second leg ended 2-2 (it didn't but just as an example) then neither would deserves to win the tie because they both scored twice each over the two legs which isn't fair.

Antony Moxey

Yes but if the first leg ended 0-0 and if the second leg ended 2-2 (it didn't but just as an example) then neither would deserves to win the tie because they both scored twice each over the two legs which isn't fair.
But it didn’t. You used that tie as a specific example of the affect of away goals but in the end the scenarios you came up with didn’t materialise and at no point during the tie did it matter. ‘If’ the first leg ended 0-0 - well what if the Irish won it and didn’t concede five at home they’d be through instead!

Legohead

Banned
I think in light of this ongoing confusion my original point is valid. A goal should be worth just that. Not two or any extra advantage simply for scoring an away goal. Regardless of anything else.

Last edited: