Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: FA Cup 2nd Round

Re: FA Cup 2nd Round

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    Just curious if the PL ever became a totally closed shop, that is no relegation and no promotion from the Championship, would you still find it so interesting to watch?
    Yes, why wouldn't I? I enjoy many sports that don't have promotions or relegations (swimming, NFL, baseball, F1 and WRC to name but a few), and there are many others besides including golf and tennis. Do you think these suffer because of no promotion or relegation?

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    Terry, I don't think this holds up. I have looked in detail at the attendances (for my own edification and for the Gates Committee) and conclude as follows.

The games you cite were both on Sunday so wouldn't have affected the Saturday games. Sunday attendances actually held up reasonably compared to Saturday ones. If you read off the attendances against the opposition and the average league gate there, you cant say Sky took more away than otherwise. We got 3,000 in direct competition to these games, as did Cambridge and Coventry; Charlton 4,450 though this included nearly 1,000 Cornishmen. On Saturday Bradford had only a quarter of their average attendance (4,737), Blackburn a third of theirs. Colchester got less than 1,800 and Crewe 2,600 and others were significant down on their averages, though Carlisle and Wimbledon did OK. Cheltenham got 2,800 but that included a very creditable 550 from Maidstone.

Objectively, therefore, there was no measurable Sky effect, just a general trend of attendances being lower than for league games across the board. If you can make any conclusion, it is that the FA Cup is not the crowd draw it once was.
    I also think that Season Ticket holders don't turn up to these games either. They save quite a bit on a league match and when the rare occasions they have to pay then some get stage fright.

Next round
    BT have Arsenal v Man U on the Sat night.

BBC will pick Fri night.

BT should have Sun at 12 and Mon night.

Big point on low crowds.
    Remember ST are not valid.

So everyone has to buy a ticket
    Last edited by Information; 07 November 2017 at 19:12.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by Rog H K View Post
    I also think that Season Ticket holders don't turn up to these games either. They save quite a bit on a league match and when the rare occasions they have to pay then some get stage fright.
    We certainly do Rog ..........

Cooper delirious with excitement, " Could have been worse...".

https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/...to-exeter-draw

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Yes, why wouldn't I? I enjoy many sports that don't have promotions or relegations (swimming, NFL, baseball, F1 and WRC to name but a few), and there are many others besides including golf and tennis. Do you think these suffer because of no promotion or relegation?
    Of course not although having said that the Sports you have cited, apart I guess NFL, Baseball, WRC (whatever that might be guessing wrestling, are structured on a totally different basis with each competitive event standing alone and bear absolutely no relationship to Football, Rugby (Union or League), Hockey, Cricket or for that matter virtually any other team sport.

Having said that we are all entitled to our opinions. You have yours and I have mine. Life would be somewhat boring if we all thought the same and if that was the case then for good or ill the likes of Exeweb would cease to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Information View Post
    Big point on low crowds.
    Remember ST are not valid.

So everyone has to buy a ticket
    I have never understood this rule and it is now an anachronism.

It must be possible in the early 21st century to have some means of allowing ST to enter with their ticket (if they wish) as part of their ST for the earlier rounds of the cup - say 1st and 2nd rounds of the FA Cup for L1 and L2 sides, 3rd and 4th rounds for Prem and Champ and for all clubs, all rounds of the League Cup & Checkatrade up to the Semis

Maybe you pay say 10% more on top of whatever the season ticket price is for the 'cup option' - this money goes into the cup pot. As a ST holder you take your chance, knowing that some years you will 'lose', other years you will 'win' - depending on the luck of the draw and how far your team goes in the various competitions.

I am not even sure the equal split rule should apply anymore. It's the luck of the draw. It would enable clubs to be more creative with ticket prices - slash them, fill the grounds, get the kids in etc. Something needs to be tried. You could always add a rider that this rule doesn't apply to Premiership clubs drawn at home to teams not in the Premiership.

And yes our 3,000 was very decent, neh impressive. For 2pm on a Sunday with the game live on national radio and semi-live on the TV.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Keep it as it is TBH as a S/T holder if we get a game at home then so be it we pay for cup games like everyone else.

A season ticket is no more than any other contract. I will come to 23 League fixtures for a discounted price because I pay up-front for the privilege.
    Last edited by Matt Russell; 07 November 2017 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    Of course not although having said that the Sports you have cited, apart I guess NFL, Baseball, WRC (whatever that might be guessing wrestling, are structured on a totally different basis with each competitive event standing alone and bear absolutely no relationship to Football, Rugby (Union or League), Hockey, Cricket or for that matter virtually any other team sport.

Having said that we are all entitled to our opinions. You have yours and I have mine. Life would be somewhat boring if we all thought the same and if that was the case then for good or ill the likes of Exeweb would cease to exist.
    WRC is rallying. I take your point on team sports though, however it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of NFL or baseball knowing there's no promotion or relegation. As it happens swimming on a local level is also a team sport - when I used to swim you were awarded points depending on your results thus over the course of a gala your team came between first and sixth on the night. There was no promotion or relegation there either, and rather like test match cricket no real structure as to who you competed against or when, just that you competed. Didn't make that any less enjoyable either.