Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: FA Cup 2nd Round

Re: FA Cup 2nd Round

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Er, BT also has FA Cup matches.
    OK then remove my references to BT and the facts are still the same reference Sky and PL games.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    I'm going to say once again that this is surely down to Sky scheduling Man City v Arsenal and Chelsea v Man Utd as direct competition during FA Cup 1st round weekend. Disgraceful but unfortunately we are all just so used to them throwing their weight around that we are seemingly just resigned to it. Even worse that the EFL Chairman whose job it is to stand up for EFL teams against such PL strong-arming is too busy with his Checkatrade Trophy B-team project to give a toss about anything else.
    This is clearly nonsense. As Jason says the PL schedule the games, Sky don't. Also, every weekend there are PL fixtures on Saturday lunchtime, Saturday evening, Sunday lunchtime, Sunday afternoon and Sunday evening as well as Monday evening. If it wasn't MC v Arsenal and Chelsea v MU it would have been somebody from the PL so the fact that it's those two fixtures is purely coincidental - pretty much every weekend one of the top six or seven are playing each other and that fixture will be televised. And to be honest even something like Huddersfield v Brighton would attract a bigger TV audience than any of the FA Cup first round ties.

It's certainly true that I have a chip on my shoulder about the PL, so maybe I am just seeing something that isn't there as it would agree with my view of the world.
    Yes, and I bet you can't wait for us to draw a top four side and that it's televised, or better still we earn a replay and that's televised too.

Fingers uncrossed and looking forward to next season!

Unfortunately most lower league fans have a total lack of proportion when it comes to the importance of their club.

It's like moaning that Strictly Coming Dancing is on TV when it should be the local craft fair being televised.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    ....Playing FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley was one sign the rot was setting in. We have to move with the times, but it's sad to see the FA Cup devalued.
    Yep, FA decisions have helped devalue their own cup competition. Not only holding semis at Nou Wembley but encouraging Man Utd not to enter that one season, then there's the coaches playing reserve teams because of the demands of European competitions and the crowded fixture list. A real shame the old pot has lost much of its lustre and magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Yes, and I bet you can't wait for us to draw a top four side and that it's televised, or better still we earn a replay and that's televised too.
    If we do I'll be making all efforts to attend the game in person, as I always do. I'm always glad whenever we're televised - money for the club plus a chance for me to watch the match which I might not otherwise get.

My gripe at the PL is their bullying tactics of smaller clubs from a position of already overwhelming relative strength, coupled with the fact that the person who ought to be standing up for our interests (EFL Chairman) quite clearly has another agenda.

When the facts show my opinion to be wrong, I'm quite happy to admit to it (as I did in the post that you quoted). Continuing to explain to me what I already admitted I was wrong about will not make me any more or less wrong about it.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolms View Post
    C'mon guys sort it out, PT wants to book his day off..
    And here was me thinking I'd read that his not being there on Sunday was down to a long-standing planned absence.

It's certainly true that I have a chip on my shoulder about the PL, so maybe I am just seeing something that isn't there as it would agree with my view of the world.
    Terry I fell out of love with the beautiful game at PL level years ago and would be more than happy if the big six swanned off to a European League and the PL ceased to exist.

Leaving the EFL to reorganise the remaining Clubs on a level playing field. Allowing supporters of all the Clubs to once again be able to realistically dream as to just what their Club might achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    Terry I fell out of love with the beautiful game at PL level years ago and would be more than happy if the big six swanned off to a European League and the PL ceased to exist.

Leaving the EFL to reorganise the remaining Clubs on a level playing field. Allowing supporters of all the Clubs to once again be able to realistically dream as to just what their Club might achieve.
    I'm the opposite. Other than ECFC I have no desire whatsoever to watch football outside of the Prem, it doesn't interest me in the slightest and is nowhere near the quality of the Prem. Besides, if they did swan off to form a European League do you think the TV companies would ignore them in favour of showing Bristol City v Cardiff instead? Of course not, the new European league would still dominate TV sport schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    I'm the opposite. Other than ECFC I have no desire whatsoever to watch football outside of the Prem, it doesn't interest me in the slightest and is nowhere near the quality of the Prem. Besides, if they did swan off to form a European League do you think the TV companies would ignore them in favour of showing Bristol City v Cardiff instead? Of course not, the new European league would still dominate TV sport schedules.
    Maybe but at least we would be back to all Clubs being on a level playing field with a more open and competitive top league instead of the virtual closed shop that exists at present. With every game being hyped up, by the TV media in particular, to a level far above its attraction level or the quality of football that it will eventually serve up....just like any league the PL can also serve up its fair level of dross.

Clubs developing and playing young British players, which might even improve the senior England Teamís chances to progress and emulate their juniors success at world level, instead of over paid and overpriced individuals from heaven knows where.

Just curious if the PL ever became a totally closed shop, that is no relegation and no promotion from the Championship, would you still find it so interesting to watch?