Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: FA Cup 2nd Round

Re: FA Cup 2nd Round

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    I'm going to say once again that this is surely down to Sky scheduling Man City v Arsenal and Chelsea v Man Utd as direct competition during FA Cup 1st round weekend.
    Terry, I don't think this holds up. I have looked in detail at the attendances (for my own edification and for the Gates Committee) and conclude as follows.

The games you cite were both on Sunday so wouldn't have affected the Saturday games. Sunday attendances actually held up reasonably compared to Saturday ones. If you read off the attendances against the opposition and the average league gate there, you cant say Sky took more away than otherwise. We got 3,000 in direct competition to these games, as did Cambridge and Coventry; Charlton 4,450 though this included nearly 1,000 Cornishmen. On Saturday Bradford had only a quarter of their average attendance (4,737), Blackburn a third of theirs. Colchester got less than 1,800 and Crewe 2,600 and others were significant down on their averages, though Carlisle and Wimbledon did OK. Cheltenham got 2,800 but that included a very creditable 550 from Maidstone.

Objectively, therefore, there was no measurable Sky effect, just a general trend of attendances being lower than for league games across the board. If you can make any conclusion, it is that the FA Cup is not the crowd draw it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    Is also fair, but when the pattern is endemic across all games for that weekend, you have to wonder whether some other factor is affecting attendance.
    The simple answer is the continuing devaluation of the FA Cup. This will show when Premier League and Championship clubs enter in Round 3; attendances won't be anything like their league attendances, bar big or lucrative ties. People don't seem that bothered by it as it's not massively promoted by broadcasters, as the PL and Champions League are by Sky and BT.
    Last edited by godisagrecian; 07 November 2017 at 12:20. Reason: Added part

It's certainly true that I have a chip on my shoulder about the PL, so maybe I am just seeing something that isn't there as it would agree with my view of the world.

The BBC have the contract to show FA Cup matches, not Sky or BT so, why should Sky or BT worry about when they schedule PL games, it's called business and Sky & BT are in the business of audiences for themselves and their advertisers, they are not bothered about lower league clubs gates for FA Cup games.

It also has to be realised that last week was European week, with both Champions League and Europa Cup matches being played on Tues/Weds/Thurs. As such, and fairly so, PL teams wanted as much time in between games as possible, hence why there were so many PL games on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Holloway View Post
    The BBC have the contract to show FA Cup matches, not Sky or BT so, why should Sky or BT worry about when they schedule PL games, it's called business and Sky & BT are in the business of audiences for themselves and their advertisers, they are not bothered about lower league clubs gates for FA Cup games.

It also has to be realised that last week was European week, with both Champions League and Europa Cup matches being played on Tues/Weds/Thurs. As such, and fairly so, PL teams wanted as much time in between games as possible, hence why there were so many PL games on Sunday.
    Er, BT also has FA Cup matches.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    As I explained re. the Round 1 game, it's now entirely up to the home club to set ticket prices subject to a minimum of 10 for adults, though they may well consult us, as clubs tend to do.
    Perleaseeeeee not another round of ticket price replies !! UTC

Hopefully won't be too long before we know when the game will be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    Hopefully won't be too long before we know when the game will be played.

The date and the kick-off time for the fixture at the New Lawn has yet to be confirmed and is unlikely to be announced soon with the matches to be moved for TV yet to be decided.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/...ticket-update/

C'mon guys sort it out, PT wants to book his day off..

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    Terry, I don't think this holds up. I have looked in detail at the attendances (for my own edification and for the Gates Committee) and conclude as follows.

The games you cite were both on Sunday so wouldn't have affected the Saturday games. Sunday attendances actually held up reasonably compared to Saturday ones. If you read off the attendances against the opposition and the average league gate there, you cant say Sky took more away than otherwise. We got 3,000 in direct competition to these games, as did Cambridge and Coventry; Charlton 4,450 though this included nearly 1,000 Cornishmen. On Saturday Bradford had only a quarter of their average attendance (4,737), Blackburn a third of theirs. Colchester got less than 1,800 and Crewe 2,600 and others were significant down on their averages, though Carlisle and Wimbledon did OK. Cheltenham got 2,800 but that included a very creditable 550 from Maidstone.

Objectively, therefore, there was no measurable Sky effect, just a general trend of attendances being lower than for league games across the board. If you can make any conclusion, it is that the FA Cup is not the crowd draw it once was.
    Good research and very true. All that was hallowed is no longer. Playing FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley was one sign the rot was setting in. We have to move with the times, but it's sad to see the FA Cup devalued.