Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Exeter City v Heybridge Swifts (FA Cup R1) Matchday Thread

Re: Exeter City v Heybridge Swifts (FA Cup R1) Matchday Thread

It might look as if it was a bad idea to change a winning formula,but before Stockley came in no one apart from Reid was scoring.Not a problem unless Reid goes through a goal drought.That's quite a change from last year when we had Reid ,Wheeler and Watkins all scoring over 15.We could afford one of them going through a bad patch.

I'd disagree that nobody else was scoring apart from Reid early season. Last season we had so many outlets from an attacking perspective in Watkins, Wheeler, McAlinden and Holmes so it was perhaps inevitable that any main striker feeding off of those lost would get lots of goals. We've lost Wheeler and Watkins and with the managers reluctance to play what creative attacking players we have left in McAlinden and Holmes then it's quite clear that a front two of Suarez and Neymar would struggle a bit as they would need to manufacture most of their own chances.

Tisdale's preference seems to be to start with Reid and Stockley knowing that we will be solid but struggle to create much and stay in the game so that later on he can bring on the likes of Holmes and McAlinden to terrorize tiring opposition defences ala Mansfield where the plan worked but only because we weren't dead and buried by half time which we should have been.

I'd prefer to start with attacking pace and pressure and see if we can get a goal or two ahead rather than always worrying about trying to rescue a game.

Lee Holmes has to start when fully fit in place of Moxey that is the only Change I would make to the starting lineup we just don’t function the same without him.

Here's a pleasant read from a Heybridge Swifts perspective http://www.isthmian.co.uk/heybridge-...MnQDzY.twitter
    A myriad of small folks waving flags bigger than they were- and accompanied by a lion who appeared to have slightly over-indulged at the all you can eat antelope buffet

That has to be the best football report I have ever read, a literary masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    That has to be the best football report I have ever read, a literary masterpiece.
    Agreed, a good read. I will never be able to look at Grecian the Lion again without a mental picture of an all-you-can-eat antelope buffet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    Here's a pleasant read from a Heybridge Swifts perspective http://www.isthmian.co.uk/heybridge-...MnQDzY.twitter
    Enjoyed that too. He nailed the feeling of both sets of fans. Didn't realise they had a drum or were singing. Must have been muffled by the wind and rain!

It was my youngest's first ever City game on Sunday and he LOVED Grecian the Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Could not agree more far superior to any from the E and E.....that is of course when they do one. Their move to a single Thursday edition only appears to have resulted in the demise of their match report.

Can I just say a couple of things about the game? I think the result could well have been different if Heybridge had had a better keeper. I know its a given that he was badly at fault for our third, but I thought he was poor on Stockleys header too. He should have advanced towards that cross, instead of remaining static in the middle of his goal. Him not coming and trying to claim the ball gave Stockley an easy glanced header from about three yards! Nothing much he could do with Stockleys shot for the other goal, but he didn't hit that ball cleanly; in fact it was miss-hit! The result could have been very different.

Reid continues to look uninterested IMHO, and as many others have said the pairing of him and Stockley just doesn't work. IMHO, he could be played on the right wing (or whatever its called these days). He wouldn't have to run all that much. We've had many excellent wingers who played at a plodding pace, noteably Gordon Dale and Tony Scott. They weren't all like locomotives i.e. Eric Welsh and Nelson Stiffle, and boy did they get the job done!

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    Agreed, a good read. I will never be able to look at Grecian the Lion again without a mental picture of an all-you-can-eat antelope buffet.
    What about an all you can drink buffet. Good brew from Railway at Newton