Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Exeter City v Heybridge Swifts (FA Cup R1) Matchday Thread

Re: Exeter City v Heybridge Swifts (FA Cup R1) Matchday Thread

Is the problem the Reld/Stockley combo, or just that Reid (after a brilliant start) is personally in horrible form? Maybe he's been carrying a knock or something?

Quote Originally Posted by edwin_price View Post
    Is the problem the Reld/Stockley combo, or just that Reid (after a brilliant start) is personally in horrible form? Maybe he's been carrying a knock or something?
    You mean it's just a coincidence that Reid can't score for the life of him since Stockley came in, since McA went out, and since we changed our style of play? Not impossible, and it could be argued that Reid should adapt anyway. But I still question why a winning formula was voluntarily changed. It's like Tiger Woods changing his swing

To be honest I was for the Reid LMc combo but I can see it will still work with Stockley, it's not the finisher that's the problem it's the lack of service so neither of them will score regularly without a provider with a brain ie: LMc , recent games have been so dull without that bit of burst he and the likes of Homes offer, I came home again yesterday bewildered Tis must know something we don't about LMc I fear!

I'm pretty amazed that no-one appears to have mentioned the refereeing of yesterday's game. I thought that it was very poor and peppered with yellow cards that were unwarranted whilst some quite horrendous tackling, shirt pulling and body blocking went (apparently) unnoticed. At least some poorly performing officials are consistently awful whilst yesterdays was simply inconsistent. In lots of ways early round cup games deserve to have officials who are used to officiating at a higher level and better able to stamp down- especially on poor and dangerous tackling - before it is unchecked and becomes rampant. I'd endorse all the comments about width and starting with a different front pairing.
    Last edited by David Treharne; 06 November 2017 at 11:13. Reason: Despicable capitalisation

Slightly longer highlights of the game

https://www.facebook.com/exetercityf...4847770501502/

Agree with the criticisms of Reid. Literally stole a wage that game and was unimpressive throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by David Treharne View Post
    I'm pretty amazed that no-one appears to have mentioned the refereeing of yesterday's game. I thought that it was very poor and peppered with yellow cards that were unwarranted whilst some quite horrendous tackling, shirt pulling and body blocking went (apparently) unnoticed. At least some poorly performing officials are consistently awful whilst yesterdays was simply inconsistent. In lots of ways early round cup games deserve to have officials who are used to officiating at a higher level and better able to stamp down- especially on poor and dangerous tackling - before it is unchecked and becomes rampant. I'd endorse all the comments about width and starting with a different front pairing.
    Without having been at the match I can't comment on yesterday specifically, but I do find when it's big club vs small club (comparatively in yesterday's case!) in the FA Cup the officials do seem to let a lot more go from the small club - tackles let go which might otherwise be fouls, yellow card offences not carded, red card offences being yellow cards, that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    You mean it's just a coincidence that Reid can't score for the life of him since Stockley came in
    Basically, yeah. As I've always said, I can see the limitations of the partnership (though I think it should work in the right circumstances). Bigger problem for me is Reid looks well off it. Don't think that's cos of Stockley and don't think it can be fixed by switching liam in. I'd go for liam and stockley to start against grimsby... reids played himself out of the first XI.

Quote Originally Posted by edwin_price View Post
    Basically, yeah. As I've always said, I can see the limitations of the partnership (though I think it should work in the right circumstances). Bigger problem for me is Reid looks well off it. Don't think that's cos of Stockley and don't think it can be fixed by switching liam in. I'd go for liam and stockley to start against grimsby... reids played himself out of the first XI.
    Fair enough.