Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Exeter City v Heybridge Swifts (FA Cup R1) Matchday Thread

Re: Exeter City v Heybridge Swifts (FA Cup R1) Matchday Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
    Thanks gH , good summing up.From what you say, the Reid Stockley combo just isn't working.I wonder how long it will be for the penny to drop with the powers that be?
    Until something is done it seems we will stagnate a bit.
    It could but they need to work on it as a pair and we need to play with far more attacking width to give them a decent supply line. Therefore Holmes and Edwards should both be playing or one of them at least to Reid and Stockley something to make them effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
    Thanks gH , good summing up.From what you say, the Reid Stockley combo just isn't working.I wonder how long it will be for the penny to drop with the powers that be?
    Until something is done it seems we will stagnate a bit.
    They could play together if we had holmes and Edwards on the wings, but not as we set up today. We have pace and skill on the wings, why don't we use it? Also, even if the penny had dropped, Tisdale would carry on with it, cos despite all his good qualities one of his worst is his stubborness

Quote Originally Posted by grecIAN Harris View Post
    What a load of crap that was between the tenth minute and the seventy fifth minute. Slow, static and generally turgid play against a side that only needed to be ran at a bit to cause problems for and ultimately be beaten as was proven in the fifteen minutes when Holmes, MacAlinden and Edwards came on. Holmes first ran caused a panicky challenge which gave away the corner from which Stockley got his second goal. MacAlinden scored by using his pace to get about their back four and Edwards was continually causing problems for their right back as soon as he came on.
    I didn't think watching two decent strikers could be as painful as watching Reid and Stockley together. They're both decent players who must have got a bit of footballing nous upstairs to work out how to be effective together. For all Reid looked bright and sharp the last time I saw he looked dull and heavy laden today. I'm not sure we're getting the best out of Boateng yet. From what I saw today, I would suggest he's being restricted and would be more effective if he had Tillson playing alongside of him. Tillson would sit and do all the ugly things that people don't notice (but probably are now in his absence much like they did the first time Matt Gill was absent and didn't get what he was about until that time) and allow Boateng more time getting towards their box than sat covering ours. Deano should never be allowed to play in midfield again if what I saw today was anything to go by. I read so many of you banging on on here about Harley slows/kills play when he gets the ball. Watching Deano today was painful. Every time he got the ball in a half decent attacking position with the full back squared up, primed to run at he killed the pass and then layed it back to Woodman instead of having a go at him. I know he's the wrong side of thirty now but surely he still spritely enough to show a non league full back a clean pair of heals. The only time he looked comfortable to me was when he went back to full back and was facing play all the time.
    If we're going to continueto play with Reid and Stockley up front, they need to do a lot of work about how to play together and we need to play with both Edwards and Holmes to get width into the side be able to get crosses in for them both to feed off of.
    On the plus side, we're in the hat tomorrow night which is the main thing and a step nearer to getting a bit more money coming in.
    Thanks for the summary

We seem to have a reoccurring point week after week that everyone sees accept the manager. Playing Reid/Stockley as a pair with no wingers does not work! even if we did do we real want to start being a pump it forward/long ball team?

Just a thought but maybe Stockley has a clause in his contract that if fit he starts?

Reid, start him on the bench and lets see how reaction in the next few games, he looks unfit, lethargic and/or disinterested

Can't argue with Harris. We looked like we might have the width to put a few crosses in for the first ten mins but it wasn't to last. Plus it was freezing. Let's hope the new grandstand has a fit for purpose roof.

Still, the right result so a banana skin avoided.

What a load of crap that was between the tenth minute and the seventy fifth minute. Slow, static and generally turgid play against a side that only needed to be ran at a bit to cause problems for and ultimately be beaten as was proven in the fifteen minutes when Holmes, MacAlinden and Edwards came on. Holmes first ran caused a panicky challenge which gave away the corner from which Stockley got his second goal. MacAlinden scored by using his pace to get about their back four and Edwards was continually causing problems for their right back as soon as he came on.
    I didn't think watching two decent strikers could be as painful as watching Reid and Stockley together. They're both decent players who must have got a bit of footballing nous upstairs to work out how to be effective together. For all Reid looked bright and sharp the last time I saw he looked dull and heavy laden today. I'm not sure we're getting the best out of Boateng yet. From what I saw today, I would suggest he's being restricted and would be more effective if he had Tillson playing alongside of him. Tillson would sit and do all the ugly things that people don't notice (but probably are now in his absence much like they did the first time Matt Gill was absent and didn't get what he was about until that time) and allow Boateng more time getting towards their box than sat covering ours. Deano should never be allowed to play in midfield again if what I saw today was anything to go by. I read so many of you banging on on here about Harley slows/kills play when he gets the ball. Watching Deano today was painful. Every time he got the ball in a half decent attacking position with the full back squared up, primed to run at he killed the pass and then layed it back to Woodman instead of having a go at him. I know he's the wrong side of thirty now but surely he still spritely enough to show a non league full back a clean pair of heals. The only time he looked comfortable to me was when he went back to full back and was facing play all the time.
    If we're going to continueto play with Reid and Stockley up front, they need to do a lot of work about how to play together and we need to play with both Edwards and Holmes to get width into the side be able to get crosses in for them both to feed off of.
    On the plus side, we're in the hat tomorrow night which is the main thing and a step nearer to getting a bit more money coming in.
    I would move Taylor inside with Boetang with Holmes, Edwards and McAlinden on wings if he is going to insist on R and S up front (would prefer McA and Stockley combo)

Don't rate James or Tillson to be honest. Either way, James is only 1 yellow from a suspension so we will see what he does soon enough

I'm not sure that Pym might not have done a bit better with their goal. That was a long old cross that found a head inside our six yard box. With the time it took, surely Pyms best bet was to come off his line to have a go at a cross that came so near to him as it did? Our third did produce a Tiabi type effort by their keeper. A dreadful mistake which killed off any hope they might have had of pulling off a replay.

Edwards and Holmes to get width into the side be able to get crosses in for them both to feed off of.
    All that would achieve would be City losing possession 8 times out of 10. Crossing is a mugs' game.

Enjoy the good times, they don't last forever.

These sort of games are a bit of a no win situation, so being in the next round is obviously the main thing.

Early on looked like it was going to be a breeze but we failed to trouble the keeper. The diagonal ball towards stockley and Reid was causing trouble but we didn't use it for long enough and the tempo was far too slow for my liking. Although I like Moxey he seemed unwilling to try and beat his man which often stalled our efforts to build some pressure. As expected the longer it went on without a goal or decent chances the opposition grew in confidence and the crowd grew restless. The second half didn't start much better and up to stockley's first we hadn't made the keeper do anything serious.

I thought Oakley made the correct changes and the final half an hour was much improved, we probably should have scored at least one or two more. Heybridge never gave up and it was a good delivery which led to their goal, although combined with poor marking in our defence. I didn't think they troubled us much, but was mightily relieved when their keeper gifted us the third.

Glad we are in the next round, hoping for a kind draw to give us a chance of a big third round tie.

We did the job at the end of the day even if against a wee level above a Sunday league outfit, however! I can't help feeling worried how crap we were in the fist half, goals aside they almost matched us, has Reid got lead in is boots??? He won't jump for anything and looks like he could do with a holiday. The best minutes were once the subs came on again more skill more ideas more excitement and clearly better understanding between JS and LMc that stands out like a hammered thumb.

It's quite simple. We had a winning formula with everyone knowing their job, everyone enthusiastic, excellent team spirit. The winning formula and possibly the confidence of the team has been disrupted to accomodate the new striker. The players are not stupid and will be affected. I still think the McA and Reid partnership should not have been broken up until they had started to lose form. In the meantime we have lost valuable points and probably p*ssed off Mc and Reid. Now you wouldn"t bet on us to beat anyone.