Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yay or Nay

Re: Yay or Nay

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    I didn't say it made it OK, but you can see how it would come about. Also, you appear to be contradicting yourself a bit by saying it normalises the behaviour while also saying people should have enough common sense to distinguish between real interaction and posts on a forum. I'd also like to think that yay or nays are made as a bit of harmless fun and that posters are aware of the bigger picture in real life.
    My point is more that having the common sense to distinguish between those two should also mean having enough common sense to see that it is not just harmless fun - it doesn't exist in isolation and if you are able to draw the first conclusion you should be equally able to draw the second.

We seem to be conflating different things here; Weinstein is an alleged sexual predator FFS and Richard Keys was being blatantly sexist. This is different, this is sexual objectification, prevalent behaviour in both genders; witness Levi and Coke ads, Boy bands, movie stars, Chippendale and male strip shows etc etc.

Also known as a harmless bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by elginCity View Post
    We seem to be conflating different things here; Weinstein is an alleged sexual predator FFS and Richard Keys was being blatantly sexist. This is different, this is sexual objectification, prevalent behaviour in both genders; witness Levi and Coke ads, Boy bands, movie stars, Chippendale and male strip shows etc etc.

This in a nutshell. Last night the Missus cheered when that Davood chap was kept in on "Strictly..." ("because I love him" says she), then I did the same when Gemma was also kept in and stated it was for the same reason. Man the flippin' barricades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Last night the Missus cheered when that Davood chap was kept in on "Strictly..."
    Surprised you didn't cheer for him too Jase, his dance partner is well fit.

Quote Originally Posted by elginCity View Post

But you don't think there is a link between the trivialising of sexual objectification and the behaviour of those people you mention?

I don't think the "but girls objectify boys too" argument washes. Women have been on the receiving end of predatory and unwanted sexual advances forever, so it ain't a level playing field.

RIP Yay or Nay. Glad we've all grown up a bit.

For me, the thread wasn't a harmless bit of fun whereupon everyone just finessed over the finer points of sexual objectivity or the fine lines of approval on the 'beauty' spectrum. As Moxey admits honestly, it was sexual objectivity regarding women. Overwhelmingly.

I accept that some posters will say it was nuanced (post-modern if you like) and that their contributions were in this spirit.

Rae was right; ultimately, some of the posts did veer into out and out misogyny and weren't called out for that which made the thread a nice refuge for some who label certain women as ugly and therefore not worth a light.
    Last edited by Spoonz Red E; 06 November 2017 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonz Red E View Post
    some of the posts did veer into out and out misogyny and weren't called out for that which made the thread a nice refuge for some...
    Sounds like we were years ahead of the House of Commons then!

Quote Originally Posted by Swanaldo View Post
    RIP Yay or Nay. Glad we've all grown up a bit.
    And let's not forget the 'random drunk students' thread while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    But you don't think there is a link between the trivialising of sexual objectification and the behaviour of those people you mention?
    Objectification can be a symptom of misogyny or sexism, but no I don't believe it to be a causal link and certainly not when used in this lighthearted context. Most on here would know where the line is.

Like Antony, not been aware of any overt misogyny, mostly a simple tongue-in-cheek nay or nah response to an image; a non-sexually suggestive, de-personalised one of a random and unaware celebrity/politician. No victim, no coercion, no harm done.