Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Yay or Nay

  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pining for a Devon country pub.
    Posts
    7,632

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    Does the fall out from sexpestgate mean these are no longer permitted ?
    Wouldn't like to say that sentence if I had a lisp..

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pining for a Devon country pub.
    Posts
    7,632

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Women do "Yays" or "Nays", y'know? Unfortunately I was a "Nay".

  3. #13
    Moderator RaeUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Old, vintage, unusual, ECFC enamel badges wanted for fledgling collection.
    Posts
    11,645

    Re: Yay or Nay

    In it's simplest form, 'Yay or Nay' should be a bit of harmless daydreaming fun. Lighthearted. Most people, at some point or another, will mentally think that guy or that girl is sexually attractive and in an alternative universe ...
    Indeed, I've both tried to join in in that manner with the occasional male y/n and I've also complained about it, albeit with (hopefully) good humour.
    However, it doesn't always remain as a bit of fun. At times I have read the comments with a mounting sense of horror. Some have been quite offensive. On the odd occasion, I have thought 'pity any female that poster comes in contact with'. There are even one or two exewebbers that I would not wish to meet, based on their y/n posts.
    I will admit that I have long since given up reading that thread. It had become too misogynist, too depressing, too predictable.
    Last edited by RaeUK; 04 November 2017 at 16:16.

  4. #14
    elginCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Going into Battle
    Posts
    7,589

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Had no idea yay or nay was taken so seriously; tongue in cheek comments about celebs none have met or could know merely based on a photo..always considered it light hearted fun and inoffensive, how wrong was I !

  5. #15

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Quote Originally Posted by elginCity View Post
    Had no idea yay or nay was taken so seriously; tongue in cheek comments about celebs none have met or could know merely based on a photo..always considered it light hearted fun and inoffensive, how wrong was I !
    In more innocent times I'd agree, but I think in the current climate it seems badly misjudged and another sign of the casual acceptance of misogyny that pervades society. Obviously there is a big distance between this and Harvey Weinstein, but it's in the same ballpark.

  6. #16
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    38,494

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    In more innocent times I'd agree, but I think in the current climate it seems badly misjudged and another sign of the casual acceptance of misogyny that pervades society. Obviously there is a big distance between this and Harvey Weinstein, but it's in the same ballpark.
    Couldn’t disagree more. The fact is bar one or two posters this site is almost exclusively posted on by men - I think that simple fact means the site is bound to lean towards more male orientated comments, but I wouldn’t say it’s mysogynistic - I can’t say as I’ve ever seen any comments that I thought particularly hateful. Of course that might be because I’m a man, but then again I’ve always seen yay or nays as a bit o& light hearted fun.

  7. #17
    StroudGrecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Feel my coco beats...
    Posts
    11,462

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Couldn’t disagree more. The fact is bar one or two posters this site is almost exclusively posted on by men - I think that simple fact means the site is bound to lean towards more male orientated comments, but I wouldn’t say it’s mysogynistic - I can’t say as I’ve ever seen any comments that I thought particularly hateful. Of course that might be because I’m a man, but then again I’ve always seen yay or nays as a bit o& light hearted fun.
    It doesn't have to be 'hateful', it is simply ill-considered. The objectification of women is a metaphorical (or virtual?) hand-on-the-knee - it undermines rights and respect. The sort of thing that Richard Keys lost his job over.

  8. #18
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    38,494

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Quote Originally Posted by StroudGrecian View Post
    It doesn't have to be 'hateful', it is simply ill-considered. The objectification of women is a metaphorical (or virtual?) hand-on-the-knee - it undermines rights and respect. The sort of thing that Richard Keys lost his job over.
    I think the supposed objectification comes from this site being almost exclusively a male site. If there were an equal number of female participants who posted an equal number of yay or nays I doubt many would object. Unless you’re terminally dim yay or nays are a world away from real interaction and if you can’t see the difference or think one would lead to the other that says a lot about you (not you personally I hasten to add) rather than harmless yay or nays.

  9. #19
    Terryhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    3,008

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    I think the supposed objectification comes from this site being almost exclusively a male site. If there were an equal number of female participants who posted an equal number of yay or nays I doubt many would object. Unless you’re terminally dim yay or nays are a world away from real interaction and if you can’t see the difference or think one would lead to the other that says a lot about you (not you personally I hasten to add) rather than harmless yay or nays.
    I would say that the fact it exists in a "almost exclusively male" bubble doesn't make it OK. At the very least it normalises the behaviour in the mind of the participants. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

    That said I do not disagree with the fact that the vast majority of people have enough common sense to distinguish between real interaction and a post made on an online forum - those same people should however also have enough common sense to realise that not everyone lands in that same bucket and that said online posts may be contributing to a wider issue. Nothing exists in isolation.

  10. #20
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    38,494

    Re: Yay or Nay

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    I would say that the fact it exists in a "almost exclusively male" bubble doesn't make it OK. At the very least it normalises the behaviour in the mind of the participants. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

    That said I do not disagree with the fact that the vast majority of people have enough common sense to distinguish between real interaction and a post made on an online forum - those same people should however also have enough common sense to realise that not everyone lands in that same bucket and that said online posts may be contributing to a wider issue. Nothing exists in isolation.
    I didn't say it made it OK, but you can see how it would come about. Also, you appear to be contradicting yourself a bit by saying it normalises the behaviour while also saying people should have enough common sense to distinguish between real interaction and posts on a forum. I'd also like to think that yay or nays are made as a bit of harmless fun and that posters are aware of the bigger picture in real life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •