Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ashes

Re: The Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by CREDYGRECIAN View Post
    Mitchell Marsh test average of 21 now 175* - says it all.
    Apparently Boycott quoted as saying 'England have no reason to fear Marsh' Ha ha ha. Talk about putting a hex on it.

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at SJP

Quote Originally Posted by geoffwp View Post
    Apparently Boycott quoted as saying 'England have no reason to fear Marsh' Ha ha ha. Talk about putting a hex on it.
    Exactly what he said when he walked to the wicket and to be fair he's hit the ball bloody hard

Quote Originally Posted by CREDYGRECIAN View Post
    next you'll be telling us all Roland-Jones is better than Anderson - who despite bowling in conditions which don't suit still manages to out think batsman & go at just 2 an over
    Anderson's stats versus Australia:

95 wickets at an average of 35.22.

That won't win you many games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Proper Chap View Post
    All this drop Cook stuff makes me laugh, who is going to come in for him ? ps. I'm not his biggest fan however he the best test opener we have.

I'd drop Vince though, he gives his wicket away time and time again, get Ballance back in the side and give him 12 months to prove himself, he has a first class average of 48.50 which is exceptional for an English qualified player.
    At the start of the 2nd test I suggested that Cook was no longer worth his place and you amongst others said I was wrong. As a result of another flop today he has now totalled 83 runs in 6 innings (average 14 per innings). He is our opening batsman.
    Last edited by IndoMike; 17 December 2017 at 06:58.

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at SJP

Cook looks a bit lost and that's sad for England - he's got the look of a man who's had enough......hope I'm wrong

That nut by starc was unplayable for Vince....

Hopefully the rain saves us now

Well done Jimmy Anderson though 4-116 from 37 overs again Showing his class

Pondering the Post Cheeseassic Age as Lionel plays his organ and Stroudy rears up

Short of rain we be are fooked.

I agree with Credy about Cook looking lost. It would not surprise me at all if he decided to retire from the international game after this debacle. Ironic that this England side are being exposed as extremely limited in an ashes series as england really are dead and gone. Not sure where we go from here. I've lost count of the number of players who have tried and dropped. What a mess. Is it a lack of professional coaching on a national scale? Is it a flaw of the county system and what it turns out? I'm darned if I know.

Pondering the Post Cheeseassic Age as Lionel plays his organ and Stroudy rears up

Michael Holding predicted that the focus on T20 would impair the skills needed for Test Cricket. I think he has a point but it does not explain why Cook is having such a mare as he is not a T20 type.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    Michael Holding predicted that the focus on T20 would impair the skills needed for Test Cricket. I think he has a point but it does not explain why Cook is having such a mare as he is not a T20 type.
    I’m not sure he has a point, unless he expands on it. The Australians don’t seem to be suffering much from too much T20, it seems to me that these days it’s so much more difficult to win a series overseas - and that’s for all test playing nations - but not sure how that might link with T20 as players regularly jet around the world to play in the various club competitions.

Agree about the T20 effect not being proven. To me it's a bit like saying footballers who play 5 a side won't make it on a full size pitch over 90 minutes. I can't see any fundamentally different skills in the short game to have any effect. It's all in the players heads.