Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: The Ashes

Re: The Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by The Proper Chap View Post
    Yet another English collapse, this time at the hands of Simply Red, some great catches as well for the sell out crowd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42788659

Jesus, that bowler is a spot of Mick Hucknall. Poor sod!

Just an aside here. How does Joffra Archer (who????) get to be picked up for 800k in the IPL auctions while Root, Morgan and Hales fail to get takers. Seems very strange to me. Have to admit I've not heard of this apparent wunderkid before but I read he wants to play for England?? Are we missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffwp View Post
    Just an aside here. How does Joffra Archer (who????) get to be picked up for 800k in the IPL auctions while Root, Morgan and Hales fail to get takers. Seems very strange to me. Have to admit I've not heard of this apparent wunderkid before but I read he wants to play for England?? Are we missing something here?
    He's been a massive hit in the big bash. Ineligible to play for England until he is 27 but has no intention of playing for the windies.

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at SJP

Cracking result for England in the ODI's....

Despite the ashes not going well England have some talented young players coming through

First Adil Rashid and now Alex Hales (to back up Spanky's points earlier in the thread) have signed up to "white ball only" contracts with their counties. Both could easily have been in Test contention this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    First Adil Rashid and now Alex Hales (to back up Spanky's points earlier in the thread) have signed up to "white ball only" contracts with their counties. Both could easily have been in Test contention this summer.
    Can't blame them can you it's where the money is ODI & Twenty20

I certainly don't blame them, but it's a crying shame that today's players are starting to dismiss Proper Cricket in favour of knockabout stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    I certainly don't blame them, but it's a crying shame that today's players are starting to dismiss Proper Cricket in favour of knockabout stuff.
    Proper cricket ? What playing in freezing conditions in April or September infront of 100 people or play in the real summer with 10,000 watching....

county championship cricket is crap

Quote Originally Posted by CREDYGRECIAN View Post
    Proper cricket ? What playing in freezing conditions in April or September infront of 100 people or play in the real summer with 10,000 watching....

county championship cricket is crap
    But not half as crap as that final statement. Tell me what is crap about county cricket and WTF is the 'real' summer???

Quote Originally Posted by CREDYGRECIAN View Post
    Drop a bloke with over 11,000 runs as a test opener when we've got blokes batting at 3 & 5 who struggle to get 11
    Between them.

Don't be ridiculous

As for the test it's in the balance - Root could be a real hero If he gets a 120-130 , it's a big ask and I think we will lose by 50 runs but England will take big confidence from there turn around in his game.

Anderson 5for was on a different planet & Woakes did great too.

If Woakes can stick around tomorrow (he's a decent bat) and get a cheeky 30-40 that would be great
    Cough cough