Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ashes

Re: The Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    The test is a dead rubber : the Aussies are bound to relax a bit.
    Not the Aussies. They've got a ruthlessness we normally lack - similar to New Zealand at rugby. They'd like to rub our noses in it by winning 5-0, and it will be something if we can prevent that. Credy and Al are right - we're so desperately short of test-class batsmen that we need Cook to keep going for a while.

The Fact we have struggled to find Cook a reliable opening partner says we will never find anyone to replace him at the moment - he hopefully will continue for many a series yet

Well, exaggerating your point doesn't impress me very much. The test is a dead rubber : the Aussies are bound to relax a bit. You make the mistake that many do, including Credy, by judging sportsmen by their past performances, not their current ones. It's not about disrespecting : it's about their current performance. Scoring a century now is indeed ironic and has no value in the grand scheme of things : it's just a consolation goal.
    Definitely not trying to impress anyone Mike and if I was exaggerating at all then it was purely to underline a point. For me Cook is a past event. His contribution at critical times on this tour have totally let the side down and IMO anything he manages in the next couple of games are meaningless. The problem as far as I see it is the TCCB and selectors only ever seem to react when it's already too late plus they are inconsistent. They will persevere with Cook because of his past history but try other players out and drop them again after a few games. I want English cricket to look forward, not keep living in the past. Let's start now. I don't particularly care if we lose this series 5-0 or 3-2. Lost is lost. Let's shake the side up, give others a chance when there's no real pressure. That's as likely to happen though as Tis starting with an attacking line up.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffwp View Post
    Definitely not trying to impress anyone Mike and if I was exaggerating at all then it was purely to underline a point. For me Cook is a past event. His contribution at critical times on this tour have totally let the side down and IMO anything he manages in the next couple of games are meaningless. The problem as far as I see it is the TCCB and selectors only ever seem to react when it's already too late plus they are inconsistent. They will persevere with Cook because of his past history but try other players out and drop them again after a few games. I want English cricket to look forward, not keep living in the past. Let's start now. I don't particularly care if we lose this series 5-0 or 3-2. Lost is lost. Let's shake the side up, give others a chance when there's no real pressure. That's as likely to happen though as Tis starting with an attacking line up.
    Sorry I misinterpreted your remarks : always a problem when not chatting face to face. So I happen to agree with your opinion. If I'm not mistaken I read that this is his first test century in 7 years...if true it's just not good enough for opening batsman. His past service was excellent, but he and we have to let go: it comes to all sportsmen. But imo a knighthood would be well- deserved. The team needs regeneration : maybe a couple of years in the doldrums then press on again. No complaints about the Aussies : they beat us fair and square.

Sorry I misinterpreted your remarks : always a problem when not chatting face to face. So I happen to agree with your opinion. If I'm not mistaken I read that this is his first test century in 7 years...if true it's just not good enough for opening batsman. His past service was excellent, but he and we have to let go: it comes to all sportsmen. But imo a knighthood would be well- deserved. The team needs regeneration : maybe a couple of years in the doldrums then press on again. No complaints about the Aussies : they beat us fair and square.
    Eh ? ?

Or did you mean his first since 2011 against the Strines ?
    Last edited by Alistair20000; 27 December 2017 at 16:17.

Sorry I misinterpreted your remarks : always a problem when not chatting face to face.
    Absolutely no need to apologise Mike. Misinterpretation is often how it is online. I'm as guilty as anyone.

Well done Alistair Cook, even my untrained eye appreciated that, off to Sydney Sixers in a minute to continue my education. I must say, the Aussies do big sports events brilliantly, loving the sport scene over here. Good on the pocket, good on the entertainment and brilliant on the atmos

Aussies obviously missing Starc.

An awesome innings from Alistair Cook gives us a chance of pulling one back. Where are the Cook bashers this morning ?

At last a contribution from Broad with the bat which turned a small lead into a commanding one.

Awful shots from Root, Bairstow, Woakes and a shockingly irresponsible innings from Moeen Ali. Some credit to Woakes though for supporting Cook after Ali had thrown his wicket away. Malan should have reviewed his LBW as there was a clear inside edge.

Some poor umpiring in this match

Morning Indo and Geoffers. How’s it hanging ?
    Last edited by Alistair20000; 28 December 2017 at 10:05.

Morning Al, late one for me as listening to the game pretty late. While I'm not about to eat my words or change my mind in anyway It certainly was a good innings from Cook, reminiscent of his prime. Well done to him and Broad. Questions to be asked obviously like why on earth did he leave it until now when the stable door is open and the horse has gone? I think Broad forgot this was still a 5 day test and thought it was a 1 day bash. Root needs a long look at himself for chucking a ton away.