• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust AGM

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

David Treharne

After the handbags comes my suggestion that as many people as possible turn up to the AGM. The organisation this year has been a shambles - and a whole host of excuses have been rolled out, many of them flimsy and inexcusable. It's also noticeable that decision making within the Trust has slowed to an all time stretch, with decision being deferred or passed on to other sub-groups for fear of having been seen to be taking a decision. I am genuinely worried that in many ways it's now so unwieldy and inflexible that positive decision making is almost impossible. I'd like to hope that current members of the Trust Board are reminded that they are there to act on behalf of the 3000+ Trust members not to simply debate, discuss and pass on. It'll be interesting to see if the business plan is actually that, or whether it's a smokescreen for inactivity where decisions that matter are taken by a small coterie rather than an exercise in collective decision making.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
After the handbags comes my suggestion that as many people as possible turn up to the AGM. The organisation this year has been a shambles - and a whole host of excuses have been rolled out, many of them flimsy and inexcusable. It's also noticeable that decision making within the Trust has slowed to an all time stretch, with decision being deferred or passed on to other sub-groups for fear of having been seen to be taking a decision. I am genuinely worried that in many ways it's now so unwieldy and inflexible that positive decision making is almost impossible. I'd like to hope that current members of the Trust Board are reminded that they are there to act on behalf of the 3000+ Trust members not to simply debate, discuss and pass on. It'll be interesting to see if the business plan is actually that, or whether it's a smokescreen for inactivity where decisions that matter are taken by a small coterie rather than an exercise in collective decision making.
An interesting post David, and shares the view that I, and several ex Trustees, have held for many a year. Some Trustees do not have the will or capability to differentiate between what is important and what is not. In particular, ground redevelopment was always my prime focus and it annoyed me intensely that no more than one or two minutes were devoted to this subject at every Trust Board meeting.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
While not wishing to be a wet blanket, I have to say that I will go, but mainly to hear what Taggy and Keith Mason have to say.

There are no Resolutions from members, only three from the TB tidying up minor wording in the Rules, the Trust Accounts are routine and there seems little else to discus. The results of the TB election will of course be announced but all five candidates are proper chaps [© P. Tisdale] who will do a good job so even that probably matters little to the wider membership.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Given from whom this comes, food for thought.

Last edited:

malcolms

While not wishing to be a wet blanket, I have to say that I will go, but mainly to hear what Taggy and Keith Mason have to say.

There are no Resolutions from members, only three from the TB tidying up minor wording in the Rules, the Trust Accounts are routine and there seems little else to discus. The results of the TB election will of course be announced but all five candidates are proper chaps [© P. Tisdale] who will do a good job so even that probably matters little to the wider membership.
Isn't Dr.Dave saying they are doing anything but a good/effective job?

Last edited:

Jazzi

It's also noticeable that decision making within the Trust has slowed to an all time stretch, with decision being deferred or passed on to other sub-groups for fear of having been seen to be taking a decision. I am genuinely worried that in many ways it's now so unwieldy and inflexible that positive decision making is almost impossible./QUOTE]

Do you mean in specific areas or more generally? I've heard from others and seen for myself a vast improvement in the way we deal with our younger supporters

Cygnus

Dr Dave is definitely saying the current Trust aren’t doing a good job and he should having been a former Club and Teust Chairman.

Having watched the Election Hustings on Facebook all the candidates came across well, but new fresh ideas and drive are definitely needed on the Trust board, which is why I voted for Mark Ciordell and Doug Gillard, along with Pete Martin. Hopefully they will help to change things if elected.

David Treharne

Do you mean in specific areas or more generally? I've heard from others and seen for myself a vast improvement in the way we deal with our younger supporters
I would agree that provision for Junior Grecians has improved enormously, largely as a result of a lot of hard work by a few dedicated individuals. On the other hand there's been great deal of talk about retention when they cease to be juniors, and how to attract younger members without anything concrete being put in place, particularly in the way of incentives. It's very difficult to explain to them as a group the difference between how the Club was run pre-2003 and the advances that have been made since, and what the advantages of Trust ownership are. I have never doubted that it is the way forward for a Club which has historically been run as badly as ours, but I feel an inertia gripping parts of the decision making process (ie it isn't very good at making decisions- and is extremely slow, often reacting rather than leading innovation). In lots of ways it has become very staid, and the last attempt to invoke a review resulted in a document that was the white wash that I believe several Trustees wanted. Just as a matter of interest the findings (such as they were) were never properly discussed - this from a past Chair of the Trust. I'm not a believer in permanent revolution, but believe that inertia is holding back several important decisions that are the Trust Board's to make and own.

PeteUSA

I think the greater need is for the four trust members who sit on the club board to be replaced. Them staying in their positions indefinitely is not a good idea. With only three resolutions from the trust board to submit, by the time they are presented to the club board, they will be lacking in more enthusiasm than when they were first agreed to by the trust board. I think the 'familiarity breeds contempt' cliche is somewhat appropriate with our existing circumstances; although not neccesarily deliberately. The club board needs to be challenged on various topics, and IMHO the people in office are no longer strong enough to do that.