Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Trust AGM

Re: Trust AGM

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    I'm with Bill on this. If candidate number 5 has secured just 1 vote from the electorate that will be 1 more than any other selected co-optee. Good enough for me assuming candidate 5 remains willing to serve.
    And one more than every trustee who has ever been elected unopposed! We also have to keep some grip on reality here, no one will only get fewer than 10 votes, and I would very much doubt anyone ever has got so little support i n the history of trust elections!

Quote Originally Posted by elginCity View Post
    Why 12 ? Why not be fixed at 10 as per the Bees and Dons Trusts, why do we need the two additional Trustees ?

Simplification of the Trust should be an overriding aim, strikes me as too unwieldy at times to be effective. Easier said than done, I know, but perhaps something to aim for.

PS Don't sell Trust membership to the kids as 2 per month, sell it as 50p a week.
    Doesn't have be 12, that's just the current number, however if you look at the minutes there always appears to be at least three of four trustees absent so I think 12 gives a decent number for discussion and voting allowing for absentees.

It also makes it more likely that each meeting has a quorum in observance of our articles.
    Last edited by Red Bill; 09 November 2017 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bill View Post
    If Sean Devine had stood down before candidates were announced, they'd all have been elected unopposed, what's the difference. As it stands Sean Devine, could have (not suggesting he has) resigned after the announcement of candidates to deliberately prevent all five candidates being appointed. So what's worse, someone being elected with relatively few votes, or the process being open to manipulation?
    Byll, I very much doubt is anything so Machiavellian happened.

There has been nothing formally from the Trust on this, so we do not know when he resigned or from which date. At least my resignation was put into the public domain quickly. But I can see no advantage to anyone for the timing to be done in such a way.

When I was on the TB Sean attended several meetings, and contributed just like any other member, but I can believe his time pressures have increased to the point he felt he could not continue. Unfortunate, but that's his decision to make. One other TB member regularly participates remotely, but the actual meetings are of course only a part of the work of being a TB Member.

By the way, unopposed candidates are elected not appointed, just as much as those in a contested election, that's a fundamental tenet of representative democracy.

The TB can however already under Rules 54 and 55 appoint temporary members until the next AGM if anyone resigns, but presumably SD's resignation was too close to the AGM to make it worth bothering and they are still currently 2 members above the minimum of 9. They did not do so after I resigned, but did subsequently co-opt Nick Hawker, who is of course one of the candidates for the TB election to be announced at the AGM.

Your other suggestion of a fixed membership of 12 raises other interesting issues, which I suggest you could develop over the coming months and get put to next year's AGM if you want to propose it formally.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bill View Post
    I'd very much like to see all five candidates elected, as this would create a board made up of a majority of people I trust and who I believe broadly think the way I do.

On a personal level I'm a bit miffed that Sean Devine has stepped down, as if he hadn't stood last year I'd have been elected and I always felt his candidacy a bit suspicious. However my circumstances have changed in the last 12 months so I may well have also had to resigned this year anyway.
    But what if those 5 candidates are not people others would trust and think the way you personally do ?

As for the last paragraph RB that sounds a little bitter towards Sean Devine as you couldn't have fulfilled a full term as a TB member anyway.

Maybe his circumstances changed as yours did ?

Old, vintage, unusual, ECFC enamel badges wanted for fledgling collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    ... took the ballot paper all the way to Dorset with me in order to cast my vote at the Port Vale match ...
    And there was me thinking I knew Dorset comparatively well ...

Quote Originally Posted by RaeUK View Post
    And there was me thinking I knew Dorset comparatively well ...
    Burslem is a suburb of Bridport.

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    Byll, I very much doubt is anything so Machiavellian happened.

There has been nothing formally from the Trust on this, so we do not know when he resigned or from which date. At least my resignation was put into the public domain quickly. But I can see no advantage to anyone for the timing to be done in such a way.

When I was on the TB Sean attended several meetings, and contributed just like any other member, but I can believe his time pressures have increased to the point he felt he could not continue. Unfortunate, but that's his decision to make. One other TB member regularly participates remotely, but the actual meetings are of course only a part of the work of being a TB Member.

By the way, unopposed candidates are elected not appointed, just as much as those in a contested election, that's a fundamental tenet of representative democracy.

The TB can however already under Rules 54 and 55 appoint temporary members until the next AGM if anyone resigns, but presumably SD's resignation was too close to the AGM to make it worth bothering and they are still currently 2 members above the minimum of 9. They did not do so after I resigned, but did subsequently co-opt Nick Hawker, who is of course one of the candidates for the TB election to be announced at the AGM.

Your other suggestion of a fixed membership of 12 raises other interesting issues, which I suggest you could develop over the coming months and get put to next year's AGM if you want to propose it formally.
    I didn't intend to suggest it actually has happened. The remark was simply as a hypothetical scenario put forward in response to another posters response one my posts.

I may well think more about a resolution for next years AGM. Wonder what the opinions of others are?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Burslem is a suburb of Bridport.
    Are you sure about that ? I thought Burslem was one of the towns that were absorbed into Stoke-on-Trent ?

I have never seen a sign for Burslem when in Bridport

We just cant keep an extremely important matter on topic can we?

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    But what if those 5 candidates are not people others would trust and think the way you personally do ?

As for the last paragraph RB that sounds a little bitter towards Sean Devine as you couldn't have fulfilled a full term as a TB member anyway.

Maybe his circumstances changed as yours did ?
    And therein lies the frailty of democracy! How do we know we can trust anyone?

I expect Sean Devine's circumstances have changed, probably just bit of sour grapes on my part!