• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

We would get absolutely rinsed in league one.....

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was probably a blessing in disguise that we were unable to seal the deal last season.

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you are right and would have been ill prepared for life in that division. I would be absolutely delighted to win promotion this season and in my opinion we are well equipped to do it but competing with the big budget clubs in League 1 is always going to a tough, tough ask for us.

We are a sports club and as such should be trying to win every fixture, every competition we enter and to ultimately do our utmost on the pitch. If we get promotion, bloody brilliant - bring it on- and next season, after the asset strippers have pinched our best players, we go again. If we get rinsed, I'll take that too.

Legohead

Banned
Same here Billy. League 1 looks strong this year but would i have taken a season up there only to be relegated again? Absolutely yes.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I appreciate the fact that smaller fish can and do survive in a big pool and I would hope that one day we can do this ourselves. We are healthier now than we have been so if we did go up and could hang on to our best players then who's to say we couldn't make a decent League 1 club. As the OP says, this season no chance - next season, why not ?

Saint James

It was probably a blessing in disguise that we were unable to seal the deal last season.
Without a recognised right back I make you right (Sweeney for me is a good back up not a 1st teamer). However, if Tiz goes back to the formula of McAllindon along with one of Reid or Stockley I think instant improvement would make us believe we could hold our own perhaps?

Red Monster

It would of been hard but we would have got more TV money in L1 and we might have been in a position to have done a deal for Jack Stacey and attracted a few better players.

Maybe Wheeler would have stayed and even got a bigger fee for Ollie Watkins .

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not necessarily at all. Blackpool were no great shakes in the play off final, just that we were even more so unfortunately as we allowed the occasion to get to us. They are now in 9th place. We could have beaten them, there was no gulf in class in that final, yet they are not being rinsed. Why then should we if things had gone differently. I just don't buy into this negativity that success would somehow have been bad for us. As monster says, a lot of things would have changed because of it.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
In football a team seems to only ever be as good as its last couple of games. By that reckoning we are a mid-table League Two team at best. We need to get our form back, and be grateful that even finishing seventh gives you a shout of promotion. If hypotheticals were realities, exeweb would be running the club.

cityregular

Without a recognised right back I make you right (Sweeney for me is a good back up not a 1st teamer). However, if Tiz goes back to the formula of McAllindon along with one of Reid or Stockley I think instant improvement would make us believe we could hold our own perhaps?
Reid & Stockley do not gel too much alike Too much long ball Go back to playing football! Results will follow

Matt Russell

What we've done, in just under a third of the season, is make a really good start - probably better than most would have predicted. Some may think that a team is only as good as its last couple of games, but the reality is that we all have to wait and see. There's no point judging us now, in the same way that there was no point in judging us when all was going our way. As others have said, League One should hold no fears (much will change if we get there, not least the examples recently given) but we have to get there first and that will depend on our results over the next two thirds of the season, not our recent blip - if that is what it turns out to be.