• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Board Elections 2017 - Questions for Nick Hawker

Calvi

Also, in my view a big part of the role of the Trust is to hold the senior employees at the club to account for their performance - can you give me some recent examples from your working life where you have held people in senior management positions to account for their performance please?

Thanks,

FBH.
I’m a big supporter of performance management. I benefited greatly from it throughout my career, both as a recipient and a reviewer. Being held accountable often seems to imply a negative issue but of course, you can be accountable for success as well. So we need to celebrate success as well as tackle failure. You ask for examples, but I wouldn’t want these to be identifiable to an individual, what I would say is that I have managed successful teams, both directly and through managers who manage their own teams and so, inevitably, i’ve been required to handle under-performance, dismissals, and redundancies, etc. With the exception of redundancy, there were rare to be honest, because I believe that failure would have had as much to do with me as the team member. Did I recruit the wrong person, was the objective I set realistic, did I have the right KPI’s in place to enable the measurement of ongoing performance, or lack the of, etc? Another important issue is differentiating between task objectives and the role of decision makers. If you are measuring the performance of decision makers it becomes more complex. Making a rapid decision in a critical environment should be measured very differently from a decision arrived at via a long period of consideration. At this point we’re often measuring risk - a quick decision would, in my view, reduce risk and maybe dampen down benefit; whilst a longer period for a decision would allow risk mitigation and therefore the emphasis could shift to a greater benefit. What i’m saying, and I think what you’re asking, is that if a Club Board member fails to deliver, my belief is that we should first look at the TB’s role in setting objectives, etc, rather than immediately focusing on the Directors themselves because, whatever the case, through good governance we should be monitoring performance well enough to ensure the risk of failure is minimised.

I do recall that this was a common theme for last years candidates, and this is twice now that i’ve responded to a similar question. I’d love to understand your thought on this, and what prompted the question.

Calvi

Communications, Shareholding, Club Business plan, Governance, Trust membership, The Freehold(s).
All have been mentioned in these Q & As and have also been mentioned for many previous years as 'work to do'.
What do you feel is needed to put some 'adrenalin' into the process?
To be honest, your first item probably covers it... better communication ...in fact, make that more open communication! I think that it’s sometimes a failure of the Trust that it pitches what it communicates to members poorly, both in terms of timeliness and actual content. It probably achieves a great deal more than folk appreciate, but then, you do have to tell members in order to receive the appreciation. Alongside this, membership participation is really important, whether that’s through resolutions at the AGM, attending forums and TB meetings, etc. I think the TB need to be more evident on forums such as this. Imagine if the Trust Chair were answering the questions being set on this thread, rather than me. Wouldn’t that be great? Thanks to a resolution last year each candidate has been allowed to come on to EXEWEB and campaign. That’s a massive step forward - I would hope that it’s something that could be built upon.

Calvi

Sorry Nick, that’s a cop out answer. You’re campaigning to be on that very TB so should be prepared to - publicly - back your own judgement. If you can’t come down from the fence and are simply prepared to stay in the background and go with the flow are you really suitable for the cut and thrust of political office? The Trust Board needs confident and strong characters, not people unable to give a simple answer to a simple question.
Your right, of course, which is why, if i’m elected, my first challenge will be to prepare to a business case around the benefits of installing of a filer coffee machine in the Board Room. That TB members have to put up with those dreadful Nescafé sachets is appalling. Central to my argument will be the obvious benefit that the additional caffeine will bring in terms of maintaining the alertness (and therefore decisiveness) of said members, but also the added flavour to the ‘dunking process’. On that particular note, I do find that hob-nobs tend to break apart when being ‘dunked’, whereas custard creams are more robust throughout this process. I would also favour, alongside the filter machine, coffee cups that have a wide enough perimeter to accommodate the dunking of McVities Milk Chocolate digestives. That really would be progress!

Calvi

I was trying to draw you out on the specifics of the exchange, but thank you for responding as you have anyway
Hi Matt, I’ll reread the item and respond again.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nick any ideas how the Trust membership can be increased to provide the funds necessary to sustain a third or hopefully in due course second tier Club?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your right, of course, which is why, if i’m elected, my first challenge will be to prepare to a business case around the benefits of installing of a filer coffee machine in the Board Room. That TB members have to put up with those dreadful Nescafé sachets is appalling. Central to my argument will be the obvious benefit that the additional caffeine will bring in terms of maintaining the alertness (and therefore decisiveness) of said members, but also the added flavour to the ‘dunking process’. On that particular note, I do find that hob-nobs tend to break apart when being ‘dunked’, whereas custard creams are more robust throughout this process. I would also favour, alongside the filter machine, coffee cups that have a wide enough perimeter to accommodate the dunking of McVities Milk Chocolate digestives. That really would be progress!
F*** me, you’ve got my vote. I feel a wind of (positive) change blowing in, what a superb answer.

Calvi

Nick any ideas how the Trust membership can be increased to provide the funds necessary to sustain a third or hopefully in due course second tier Club?
Hi

Whilst I'd love to believe that subscriptions alone could help finance this, I fear it is unrealistic. The Trust currently commit £100k per annum to the Club, with only an appropriate amount to spare afterwards! Even if we doubled membership and committed £200k, it would be a drop in the League One Ocean! Not unwelcome of course, and growing membership should be a clear objective anyway, but I think we'll need to look elsewhere as well, for this type of funding! We need to ensure that our existing assets are fully utilised - especially on non-match days and including the Clifford Hill Centre - and that the organisation is operating at an optimal level of efficiency! To keep our current model of ownership and achieve the level of success that you (and I, for that matter) crave, we will need to be increasingly inventive and perhaps even daring, in our pursuit of funding. We should embrace this as an exciting time and drive our ambitions forward, safely but determinedly.

Just now, I don't really have a better answer, I really wish I did. I guess we need to see what the Clubs business plan says on the matter!

Calvi

I was trying to draw you out on the specifics of the exchange, but thank you for responding as you have anyway
Okay - so a couple of points... I have volunteered on several occasions to assist on Club related matters that might be construed as sensitive. I've never actually been asked to sign a non-disclosure document, though to be honest, they were common place in my previous work life so I don't find them alarming, and they certainly wouldn't distract me from volunteering again. I think most volunteers would acknowledge the necessity of such things. What I do fear, and in a way I've tried to express this in my previous answer, is that volunteers have lives that have no dependency on their voluntary work, as opposed to paid work that might cover the mortgage, etc. so we need to be mindful not to become over-reliant on someone for whom the voluntary work might not be an absolute priority - you cannot guarantee attendance or completion of tasks! Speaking personally though, I've always considered it a privilege to assist the Club and the Trust, and I personally value any contribution I can make highly. In terms of skill base, I think it's down to the Club to monitor and judge this. Volunteers genuinely want to help so for example, if I were to come forward to help with the plumbing I'd strongly advise on building an ark! I know I'm rubbish at it so obviously, I wouldn't attempt to assist in this way, although I'd be happy to hold the wrench!

I do think I understand where Doug is coming from... because volunteers are generally helping with something that they love it can be hard to say no. This can lead to over-committing on time and could result in the non-completion or incorrect service of a task.. To this end I'm mindful of the need to look after the volunteers and not make assumptions around them. They are a valuable resource so let's ensure we take good care of them!

ecfctis

Hi

Whilst I'd love to believe that subscriptions alone could help finance this, I fear it is unrealistic. The Trust currently commit £100k per annum to the Club, with only an appropriate amount to spare afterwards! Even if we doubled membership and committed £200k, it would be a drop in the League One Ocean! Not unwelcome of course, and growing membership should be a clear objective anyway, but I think we'll need to look elsewhere as well, for this type of funding! We need to ensure that our existing assets are fully utilised - especially on non-match days and including the Clifford Hill Centre - and that the organisation is operating at an optimal level of efficiency! To keep our current model of ownership and achieve the level of success that you (and I, for that matter) crave, we will need to be increasingly inventive and perhaps even daring, in our pursuit of funding. We should embrace this as an exciting time and drive our ambitions forward, safely but determinedly.

Just now, I don't really have a better answer, I really wish I did. I guess we need to see what the Clubs business plan says on the matter!
Surely this will in the main be dictated to by how many walk through the turnstiles for each of 23 home games. It appears to me that for our local population the %'age per 1,000 attending games is on the low side and currently in no way will support higher levels. Our support is too fickle! Just look at the attendance for the Notts County game (4,760) and then look at the 3,651 for the Morecombe game. Different attractions (plus an influx of students) I know, but there has to be more consistency from within the fan base to stick with the team. Premier league clubs getting around 30-40,000 per game do not often drop 20-25% just because they lost their previous home game!
As good as the governance of the club may eventually be, there will always, IMHO, be this problem of consistent numbers attending to sustain higher levels in the tier.
Is there a solution to this in the Trust run system, or must it be down to a benefactor who will prop up the club with any shortfall in funding the process?

Well-known Exeweb poster
would you vote for or against the trust introducing the living wage ?