• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Not going to Wycombe?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I don't blame any one for not wanting to go! Anyways, there is a beer and cider festival up at the Centre Spot that you might enjoy.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/grecians-beer-festival-to-be-held-in-october/

Devon_Lad

I don't blame any one for not wanting to go! Anyways, there is a beer and cider festival up at the Centre Spot that you might enjoy.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/grecians-beer-festival-to-be-held-in-october/
I do...we're top of the league ffs & Wycombe isn't particularly far from Exeter, or even London for the exiles.

Nasty Wycombe l-)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I do...we're top of the league ffs & Wycombe isn't particularly far from Exeter, or even London for the exiles.

Nasty Wycombe l-)
If you're only able to pick and choose your fixtures, Wycombe would come near the bottom for a variety of reasons.

I'm going to a match on Saturday (a rare thing, rarer still as I'm playing on Sunday), but that's Ashford Town (Middx) vs Aze n Yeddin, as a mate is sponsoring the match on behalf of another mate whose son plays for Ashford.

Legohead

Banned
What's the deal with Wycombe then? Why don't certain Exeter fans like them much? I'm a relatively new fan so am not aware of any history between the two clubs (if any). I have been to Wycombe twice with the team i previously used to go and watch and always thought it a really friendly place. Nice ground, decent view, friendly fans, some activities going on outside the ground. I even went in the clubhouse for a pint before the game and i rarely do that so can't have been bad. Really enjoyed my visits there despite seeing two defeats and it's a near 3 hour drive from where i live too.

My only moan is the car parking and where the ground is situated. I parked on a grassy bit next to the ground and getting out afterwards was a right pain in the arse. Also there isn't anything around the area of the ground as it's at the end of an industrial estate.

Sadly i can't make the game, my next one will be Mansfield.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What's the deal with Wycombe then? Why don't certain Exeter fans like them much?
Your moan about the situation of the ground is one issue - people will often rate a club on the whole away day thing, so if the ground is nowhere near the town they'll tend to be marked down. The pubs in Wycombe are *OK* at best, not a patch on some of the other grounds.

A bigger gripe in the past few seasons has been the actual match experience - although the last time I saw them (the season before last, I couldn't go last season) they weren't as bad as previously, that was a reduction from being the most obnoxious team and management in the division. There's a reason their fixtures tend to finish after 5pm.

Legohead

Banned
Ah right. So Ainsworth likes a bit of that does he? He was manager the two times i went and now come to think of it i do remember their (then) keeper Jordan Archer getting dogs abuse for persistent and blatant timewasting to the point of ridiculousness. That does stick in my head actually.

Last edited:

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
They were ok when we played them there last season but that was largely because they didn't take the lead until very late on.

If they go 1-0 up in the first 10 minutes, you have to prepare for a terrible following 80+ minutes.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
They were ok when we played them there last season but that was largely because they didn't take the lead until very late on.

If they go 1-0 up in the first 10 minutes, you have to prepare for a terrible following 80+ minutes.
The worst was that Tuesday night when they scored after about 7 minutes, then spent minutes 8-80 (around which time we equalised) breaking new ground with the ridiculousness of their antics. Even the steward got involved at one point, taking about five minutes to retrieve the ball after it had got lodged under some seats. The sight also of the full back stood watching as the ball rolled gently past him twice also sticks in my mind.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not planning to go to Wycombe any time soon. There is only so much cheating and timewasting you can take. All they need to do is sign Hylton from Luton. Then they will be the perfect team (not).

Devon_Lad

Not planning to go to Wycombe any time soon. There is only so much cheating and timewasting you can take. All they need to do is sign Hylton from Luton. Then they will be the perfect team (not).
The same Danny Hylton that scored 27 goals in all competitions last season? Would be an excellent signing for Wycombe.

Each to their own I guess, it's not a great away day but I've been to worse.