• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust elections 2017

Red Bill

Where''s the campaigning!

Last year when I stood, I found the Trust rules on online campaigning, the easiest and best way of engaging with members, so restrictive as to make it practically impossible, as a result I drafted a motion to change the rules to allow it on any online platform,which was passed at the AGM.
I'D hoped that would mean that this year candidates would be eagerly taking to forums like this to explain what they're all about and answer questions, but I have to say they're conspicuous by their absence. In fairness, Doug has offerred to answer any questions and Pete M is on here often anyway, but I really think the candidates should be putting more effort into explaining why we should vote for them.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Where''s the campaigning!
Indeed. Even I, as a candidate, am finding it very quiet.

I had suggested setting up a temporary online forum via 'Proboards' or similar (it is possible to ensure that only bona fide Trust members can register) but obviously, as a candidate, I couldn't get involved in the mechanics of it.

The only option open, other than the hustings, is to email questions to candidates to '[email protected]'. Questions to candidates will then be forwarded on to them and they are asked to respond within 3 days. The Trust secretary will then coordinate the responses and send them to the questioner direct and then post the questions and responses on the Trust website, after first removing the questioner's name. It works, it is however all a bit laborious imo.

I have already mentioned in my manifesto that I'm happy to answer any questions from Trust members.

Last edited:

Westy

I too am a candidate for the election like Pete and have found things very quiet.

My name is Paul West and I'm happy to answer any questions from Trust members.

Terryhall

I haven't yet received my ballot paper (although my better half has received hers, oddly).

I did have a look at all the manifestos on the Trust website and think I am already more or less decided on where my votes will go - but prefer to keep that to myself. Have all ballots been sent out?

I'm also a shade disappointed that there hasn't been much (that I have seen at least) in the way of pro-active campaigning.

elginCity

I am already more or less decided on where my votes will go - but prefer to keep that to myself..
As it should be.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I'm also a shade disappointed that there hasn't been much (that I have seen at least) in the way of pro-active campaigning.
I get that Terry. The way it's set up almost deters candidates from being the first to preach. In any event, I think our respective manifestos set out our stalls and I'm sure we're all open to questioning on them or any other relevant points.

Matt Russell

I too am a candidate for the election like Pete and have found things very quiet.

My name is Paul West and I'm happy to answer any questions from Trust members.
One problem, if it is one, is that Exeweb is an anonymous forum (or can be for those who choose to remain so) so you don't really know who are Trust members and who are not. Probably why any questions are encouraged to be sent via the Trust so the questioner's membership can be checked.

Pete Martin (CTID)

One problem, if it is one, is that Exeweb is an anonymous forum (or can be for those who choose to remain so) so you don't really know who are Trust members and who are not. Probably why any questions are encouraged to be sent via the Trust so the questioner's membership can be checked.
Long time Exwebbers will remember when there was a dedicated Trust members' forum on here. You had to be a Trust member to register to use it. It was eventually removed as a result of lack of use/interest.

Terryhall

Just to ask the question - is there anything to prevent candidates from campaigning in open forums accessible to both Trust members and non-members? If so, what is the logic behind that? I don't understand why a candidate could not (for example) make a campaign statement on the supporters group FB page, or an Exeweb post, or something similar - I don't understand what the difference would be to publishing the manifesto on the Trust website (which can also be read by anyone, and not just Trust members?)

Red Bill

Just to ask the question - is there anything to prevent candidates from campaigning in open forums accessible to both Trust members and non-members? If so, what is the logic behind that? I don't understand why a candidate could not (for example) make a campaign statement on the supporters group FB page, or an Exeweb post, or something similar - I don't understand what the difference would be to publishing the manifesto on the Trust website (which can also be read by anyone, and not just Trust members?)
My motion last year removed those restrictions Terry, candidates can now campaign on any online platform, they simply have to inform the rust secretary and returning officer of which ones they'll be using.