Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 100

Thread: Trust elections 2017

  1. #11

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    Where''s the campaigning!

    Last year when I stood, I found the Trust rules on online campaigning, the easiest and best way of engaging with members, so restrictive as to make it practically impossible, as a result I drafted a motion to change the rules to allow it on any online platform,which was passed at the AGM.
    I'D hoped that would mean that this year candidates would be eagerly taking to forums like this to explain what they're all about and answer questions, but I have to say they're conspicuous by their absence. In fairness, Doug has offerred to answer any questions and Pete M is on here often anyway, but I really think the candidates should be putting more effort into explaining why we should vote for them.

  2. #12
    Pete Martin (CTID)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    9,713

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bill View Post
    Where''s the campaigning!
    Indeed. Even I, as a candidate, am finding it very quiet.

    I had suggested setting up a temporary online forum via 'Proboards' or similar (it is possible to ensure that only bona fide Trust members can register) but obviously, as a candidate, I couldn't get involved in the mechanics of it.

    The only option open, other than the hustings, is to email questions to candidates to '[email protected]'. Questions to candidates will then be forwarded on to them and they are asked to respond within 3 days. The Trust secretary will then coordinate the responses and send them to the questioner direct and then post the questions and responses on the Trust website, after first removing the questioner's name. It works, it is however all a bit laborious imo.

    I have already mentioned in my manifesto that I'm happy to answer any questions from Trust members.
    Last edited by Pete Martin (CTID); 09 October 2017 at 08:03.

  3. #13

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    I too am a candidate for the election like Pete and have found things very quiet.

    My name is Paul West and I'm happy to answer any questions from Trust members.

  4. #14
    Terryhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    I haven't yet received my ballot paper (although my better half has received hers, oddly).

    I did have a look at all the manifestos on the Trust website and think I am already more or less decided on where my votes will go - but prefer to keep that to myself. Have all ballots been sent out?

    I'm also a shade disappointed that there hasn't been much (that I have seen at least) in the way of pro-active campaigning.

  5. #15
    elginCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Going into Battle
    Posts
    7,599

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    I am already more or less decided on where my votes will go - but prefer to keep that to myself..
    As it should be.

  6. #16
    Pete Martin (CTID)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    9,713

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    I'm also a shade disappointed that there hasn't been much (that I have seen at least) in the way of pro-active campaigning.
    I get that Terry. The way it's set up almost deters candidates from being the first to preach. In any event, I think our respective manifestos set out our stalls and I'm sure we're all open to questioning on them or any other relevant points.

  7. #17

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I too am a candidate for the election like Pete and have found things very quiet.

    My name is Paul West and I'm happy to answer any questions from Trust members.
    One problem, if it is one, is that Exeweb is an anonymous forum (or can be for those who choose to remain so) so you don't really know who are Trust members and who are not. Probably why any questions are encouraged to be sent via the Trust so the questioner's membership can be checked.

  8. #18
    Pete Martin (CTID)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    9,713

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Russell View Post
    One problem, if it is one, is that Exeweb is an anonymous forum (or can be for those who choose to remain so) so you don't really know who are Trust members and who are not. Probably why any questions are encouraged to be sent via the Trust so the questioner's membership can be checked.
    Long time Exwebbers will remember when there was a dedicated Trust members' forum on here. You had to be a Trust member to register to use it. It was eventually removed as a result of lack of use/interest.

  9. #19
    Terryhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    Just to ask the question - is there anything to prevent candidates from campaigning in open forums accessible to both Trust members and non-members? If so, what is the logic behind that? I don't understand why a candidate could not (for example) make a campaign statement on the supporters group FB page, or an Exeweb post, or something similar - I don't understand what the difference would be to publishing the manifesto on the Trust website (which can also be read by anyone, and not just Trust members?)

  10. #20

    Re: Trust elections 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    Just to ask the question - is there anything to prevent candidates from campaigning in open forums accessible to both Trust members and non-members? If so, what is the logic behind that? I don't understand why a candidate could not (for example) make a campaign statement on the supporters group FB page, or an Exeweb post, or something similar - I don't understand what the difference would be to publishing the manifesto on the Trust website (which can also be read by anyone, and not just Trust members?)
    My motion last year removed those restrictions Terry, candidates can now campaign on any online platform, they simply have to inform the rust secretary and returning officer of which ones they'll be using.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •