Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How far do "our principles" go?

Re: How far do "our principles" go?

Great idea Grecian Max about the European element. Could be a bit like the Anglo-Italian cup for those of you that remember it.

Perhaps more suited though would be to include lower league teams from the home nations to make up the numbers so you have the likes of Forfar, Cowdenbeath and Brechin from Scotland, Llanelli Town, Monmouth United and Haverdfordwest County from Wales and then Ards, Ballinamallard United and Larne from Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Grecian Max View Post

If they wanted to improve the competition for the fans they should have made it a summer cup (running into the autumn), invited L1/L2 equivalents from Scotland, Ireland, France, Holland Spain etc and had a lower league European competition. Travel to Europe is cheap asf even in these post-Brexit times. Fans would love it and it would open up an opportunity for Euro trips for lower league fans. Gates would massively increase IMO.
    What an excellent idea. Please apply for Shaun Harvey's job when we finally get rid of him.

I would suggest that the missing fans fall in to 2 categories, mainly. (1) Couldn't care less about this lower league competition and (2) those that are worried about the EPL wanting to have reserve teams in L2 or L3 and see the changes as bringing that one step closer. Most attendances in this new format competition have been lower than any for the JPT games.

Would I go to Wembley, don't know but it's not a question that'll need answering this season.

If they wanted to improve the competition for the fans they should have made it a summer cup (running into the autumn), invited L1/L2 equivalents from Scotland, Ireland, France, Holland Spain etc and had a lower league European competition. Travel to Europe is cheap asf even in these post-Brexit times. Fans would love it and it would open up an opportunity for Euro trips for lower league fans. Gates would massively increase IMO.
    What an excellent idea. Please apply for Shaun Harvey's job when we finally get rid of him.

I would suggest that the missing fans fall in to 2 categories, mainly. (1) Couldn't care less about this lower league competition and (2) those that are worried about the EPL wanting to have reserve teams in L2 or L3 and see the changes as bringing that one step closer. Most attendances in this new format competition have been lower than any for the JPT games.

Would I go to Wembley, don't know but it's not a question that'll need answering this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Legohead View Post
    Could be a bit like the Anglo-Italian cup for those of you that remember it.
    The last incarnation of which tended to attract attendances that make the Checkatrade games seem well-attended, you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    The last incarnation of which tended to attract attendances that make the Checkatrade games seem well-attended, you mean?
    I know Jason.

I think a home nations tournament would be something different though and definitely something marketable in this day and age. Exeter v Dunfermline surely beats Exeter v Swansea U21's for interest. Just.

This is already a thing, just not in England - Welsh and Northern Irish teams are entered into the Scottish Challenge Cup (their equivalent of our Checkatrade).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36483962

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    This is already a thing, just not in England - Welsh and Northern Irish teams are entered into the Scottish Challenge Cup (their equivalent of our Checkatrade).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36483962
    Ah yes i'd forgotten about that Terry. I think the only negative about that competition is that it's the Scottish cup and you've got non Scottish teams in there. If they revamped it for all home nations and called it the Brit Cup or something like that then it would be more appropriate i think.

I've been to wembley three times with city so have absolutely no interest in going there for what is little more than a joke competition. I have no problem with people who want to go, I just choose not to nor would i complain about those that do go. Some people really do need to get off their high horse and respect others choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Legohead View Post
    I know Jason.

I think a home nations tournament would be something different though and definitely something marketable in this day and age. Exeter v Dunfermline surely beats Exeter v Swansea U21's for interest. Just.
    With an flying version of Grecian Travel as part of the package?

Wembley is absolute ****e.
    Nonsense. Easy to get to, easy to find where you need to go once inside, easy to get out when you’re done and good views of the pitch from anywhere inside. Second best ground in the country.