• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How far do "our principles" go?

Matt Russell

Got to thinking on my drive to work.
Of those who have chosen to boycott the Ckeckatrade Trophy for principled reasons, who takes their principles to the next degree and "boycotts" any match highlights or our own 360's?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Or how many would ignore said principles were we to get to Wembley?

I disagree with the whole U21 thing, but I'm not boycotting the thing - despite our eventual 4-2 defeat I enjoyed our visit to Oxford last season.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
What principle would be behind boycotting match highlights or 360s?

Legohead

Banned
I didn't go to Wembley for the play off final as i'd only been an Exeter fan for just over half of last season so didn't feel it right and to be honest, i didn't really feel 100% part of the club at that point. I mentioned it on the thread at the time. Therefore missing a trip to Wembley in the Checkatrade out of principle isn't an issue whatsoever.

As for the highlights etc, i don't really watch highlights of league games and obsess over clips and the like on the internet like many do, so again, i haven't and won't view any highlights of checkatrade games as i'm just not interested. Seeing the league goals on The Football League show is more than enough for me.

I'm probably in a tiny, tiny minority though.

Last edited:

Matt Russell

What principle would be behind boycotting match highlights or 360s?
I was referring to an extension of the original "boycott" principle, not a new one

Avening Posse

I never went to any of these games even before the changes, not because of principles but because the competition has never really interested me, and most of the people I went with to standard league games were of the same view. The competition in whatever guise has never really interested me. Fair play if it flicks your switch though. For some going to the football is an expensive business, and choosing the traditional 3 competitions over this one is an easy financial decision for many I suspect

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me it's not a matter of principle. I went to the Yeovil home game.

Anyway, as Groucho Marx allegedly said, ‘Those are my principles – if you don’t like them I have others.’

Legohead

Banned
So long as we don't reach the stage where the attendance or non attendance of these matches becomes some sort of competition to see who are 'better' fans than others then there really isn't anything to worry about.

Some fans think it's a load of cack and some enjoy going and watching.

IndoMike

Why is "our principles" in inverted commas?

Grecian Max

Or how many would ignore said principles were we to get to Wembley?

I disagree with the whole U21 thing, but I'm not boycotting the thing - despite our eventual 4-2 defeat I enjoyed our visit to Oxford last season.
Wembley is absolute ****e, so that shouldn't be at all tempting for anyone.

I just think the whole competition is rubbish, it wasn't great as it was, now I don't even view them as competitive matches with the inclusion of all the U21 crap.

Make no mistake - whilst superfans will continue to go to these matches, the attendances have been dismal.

If they wanted to improve the competition for the fans they should have made it a summer cup (running into the autumn), invited L1/L2 equivalents from Scotland, Ireland, France, Holland Spain etc and had a lower league European competition. Travel to Europe is cheap asf even in these post-Brexit times. Fans would love it and it would open up an opportunity for Euro trips for lower league fans. Gates would massively increase IMO.