• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Which is more likely Exeter City or Barcelona in the EPL?

IBA

Adrian Edmondson has calculated that Exeter City will be in the Premier League by 2078, given the current Catalonian crisis I understand that Barca are considering playing in a top European league including the Premier League.

How likely is this to happen?

And could we be playing Barcelona in the third round of the FA cup in the meantime?!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Never happen.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps Barca could join with Celtic as newcomers to the premiersh*te - how boring must Scottish football be for them why bother with the season?

ExeterCityLad

Perhaps Barca could join with Celtic as newcomers to the premiersh*te - how boring must Scottish football be for them why bother with the season?
I don't want either of them in English football. And Barcelona 100% isn't going to happen.

But Celtic and Barca would and should have to join at the bottom of the period if it were to happen and work their way up the leagues. Not just join the Prem.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't want either of them in English football. And Barcelona 100% isn't going to happen.

But Celtic and Barca would and should have to join at the bottom of the period if it were to happen and work their way up the leagues. Not just join the Prem.
Absolutely. But with the Premier League if they sniff money they'd sell their own grandmother. Can't see how they'd make more, though.

Absolutely. But with the Premier League if they sniff money they'd sell their own grandmother. Can't see how they'd make more, though.
Agreed, Mike.

Though it appears that football is soon to eat itself, with the 'big six' taking a stance on gobbling up the lion's share of overseas' TV money. It's difficult to conceive how these fat cats could get any fatter, but if (probably when) they win this little battle there will be the 'haves' in the premiership and the 'have even mores'. The result? The premiership will turn into a race for the 'have even mores' to win even more. So well before 2078 it will be as attractive as the Scottish, French, Spanish leagues (I assume this list could go on) for excitement with the same bloody clubs winning every year. yawn.

Last edited:

Terryhall

My opinion would be

Exeter City in the PL? Spectacularly unlikely
Barcelona in the PL? Impossible

So to answer the OP, Exeter City in the PL would be more likely.

Barcelona joining the PL is "impossible" in my opinion because 14 PL teams would need to approve their joining the league. Firstly, turkeys don't vote for Christmas - none of the big clubs would vote in a rival likely to beat them to the title, and none of the smaller clubs would be willing to voluntarily give up their seat at the table to make space for Barcelona to join. Financially, Barcelona (and Real Madrid) currently enjoy a massively unbalanced share of the Spanish TV rights - a similar model to this was also debated and dismissed without going to a vote at the PL club meeting yesterday - again, none of the current "big six" (who proposed ending the equal share of TV rights which is the current approach) would want to add another name to the list to carve up their slice of the pie further - and none of the smaller clubs would want to have another club throwing their financial weight around and strengthening the case against balance and equality.

What could happen would be some splinter league of big clubs across Europe, which would include Barcelona alongside some of the big PL clubs. Which still falls under "spectacularly unlikely", but realistically would probably be much more likely than Exeter getting to the PL.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
What could happen would be some splinter league of big clubs across Europe, which would include Barcelona alongside some of the big PL clubs. Which still falls under "spectacularly unlikely", but realistically would probably be much more likely than Exeter getting to the PL.
I think there is a real possibility that Manure and Chelsea could be part of a European Super League with Real, Barca, PSG, Marseille etc. within the next 10 years.

Terryhall

I think there is a real possibility that Manure and Chelsea could be part of a European Super League with Real, Barca, PSG, Marseille etc. within the next 10 years.
Yep, you could easily imagine other big clubs too - most prominently Man City (from the one side, they'd have the money - from the other side, the new league would be foolish not to try to keep as many derbies as possible.)

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster

The question has often been asked "Messi is good but could he do it on a wet Tuesday night in Crawley?"