• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The poor facilities at St James Park

Gordon Dale

Accepting that ground redevelopment was inevitable it should come as no surprise that the majority will suffer more than their fair share of pain whilst, taking the sentiments expressed in the final sentence of rightwing's post above, 'the priviliged few' make a few bob out of it. Regrettably ,that's one of the fundamental reasons why the gates have remained south of 5,000 despite this season's successful points tally . Many previously die-hard supporters I know won't come back on a regular basis. Many of them , however, like what they see at Sandy Park , particularly the way that club is run. That's why they can charge considerably more and regularly have gates in excess of 10,000.

Quite frankly, the facilities for the majority at SJP are poor in this day and age . Why should anyone want to regularly fork out £20 when the equivalent will buy you two Dine in for 2 Meals inc Wine at M&S? Just look at the difference in last week's two attendances. ...some 1100 less for the Morecambe match. Will the current re-development make much of a difference ? From what little I've seen to date from 'Bob the Builder'......I doubt it!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: Update on the SJP works

What an utter load of nonsense.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Accepting that ground redevelopment was inevitable it should come as no surprise that the majority will suffer more than their fair share of pain whilst, taking the sentiments expressed in the final sentence of rightwing's post above, 'the priviliged few' make a few bob out of it. Regrettably ,that's one of the fundamental reasons why the gates have remained south of 5,000 despite this season's successful points tally . Many previously die-hard supporters I know won't come back on a regular basis. Many of them , however, like what they see at Sandy Park , particularly the way that club is run. That's why they can charge considerably more and regularly have gates in excess of 10,000.

Quite frankly, the facilities for the majority at SJP are poor in this day and age . Why should anyone want to regularly fork out £20 when the equivalent will buy you two Dine in for 2 Meals inc Wine at M&S? Just look at the difference in last week's two attendances. ...some 1100 less for the Morecambe match. Will the current re-development make much of a difference ? From what little I've seen to date from 'Bob the Builder'......I doubt it!
Yeah, yeah, yeah....nothing there we don't already know. I have friends who go up to Sandy Park from time to time and seem to generally enjoy the experience but tend to bemoan two things, (1) It's a crap location and in rough weather it's akin to being up on the moors (2) There is next to no atmosphere, however full the place might be. It's not so difficult to attend and pay the astronomic prices when there are just 11 league games in a season, compared to 23.

The biggest effect on attendances at City is not so much the facilities, as the big influence on blanket coverage of the Premier League on TV. All League One and League Two clubs suffer from that to varying degrees. Yes, there's plenty that still needs to be done and most of us are very conscious of it, but if you look back at the clubs' 109 year history as a professional club we are in a better place than we have ever been in so many ways. Years of neglect and lack of investment have taken their toll, but we love our club and we love our history. Did the Chiefs have much of one before 2006? As I said, plenty still to do, but a lot of good people are working on it. "Rome wasn't built in a day".

Thank you for your support.

Matt Russell

What a depressing viewpoint to have!
I'll touch on just the difference in attendance figures regarding the Morecambe match - might it just have something to do with it being the 2nd SJP match in five days? Love to know your definition of a "die-hard" fan.

Jazzi

Quite frankly, the facilities for the majority at SJP are poor in this day and age
Facilities range from Corporate hospitality to the BB with various stages in-between. What exactly are we missing?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster

From what little I've seen to date from 'Bob the Builder'......I doubt it!
You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between a developer and a 'builder'...and also what a 'die hard' fan is.

The way I see it there are a few reasons for the ongoing decent crowds at SP. 1) They are in the top flight (albeit a flight of 2 and one that's considerably cheaper than football) 2) You can drink during the game (this seems to be the main argument that people have for the sport of rugby).

ronniej

What a load of bollox

ronniej

Yeah, yeah, yeah....nothing there we don't already know. I have friends who go up to Sandy Park from time to time and seem to generally enjoy the experience but tend to bemoan two things, (1) It's a crap location and in rough weather it's akin to being up on the moors (2) There is next to no atmosphere, however full the place might be. It's not so difficult to attend and pay the astronomic prices when there are just 11 league games in a season, compared to 23.

The biggest effect on attendances at City is not so much the facilities, as the big influence on blanket coverage of the Premier League on TV. All League One and League Two clubs suffer from that to varying degrees. Yes, there's plenty that still needs to be done and most of us are very conscious of it, but if you look back at the clubs' 109 year history as a professional club we are in a better place than we have ever been in so many ways. Years of neglect and lack of investment have taken their toll, but we love our club and we love our history. Did the Chiefs have much of one before 2006? As I said, plenty still to do, but a lot of good people are working on it. "Rome wasn't built in a day".

Thank you for your support.
Agree with everything said above.

LOG

might it just have something to do with it being the 2nd SJP match in five days?
Quite. If i'd had to choose between a top of the table match against Notts County or a not so top of the table game against Morecambe i think it's pretty obvious which one would lose out.

Dare i mention that there were also only 27 away fans there on Saturday or that there had been 400 students from the university's Grecian Society (i think it's called) at the Notts County game?

No, it's definitely the facilities.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Have created a new thread!