Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The poor facilities at St James Park

Re: The poor facilities at St James Park

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Dale View Post
    Accepting that ground redevelopment was inevitable it should come as no surprise that the majority will suffer more than their fair share of pain whilst, taking the sentiments expressed in the final sentence of rightwing's post above, 'the priviliged few' make a few bob out of it. Regrettably ,that's one of the fundamental reasons why the gates have remained south of 5,000 despite this season's successful points tally . Many previously die-hard supporters I know won't come back on a regular basis. Many of them , however, like what they see at Sandy Park , particularly the way that club is run. That's why they can charge considerably more and regularly have gates in excess of 10,000.

Quite frankly, the facilities for the majority at SJP are poor in this day and age . Why should anyone want to regularly fork out 20 when the equivalent will buy you two Dine in for 2 Meals inc Wine at M&S? Just look at the difference in last week's two attendances. ...some 1100 less for the Morecambe match. Will the current re-development make much of a difference ? From what little I've seen to date from 'Bob the Builder'......I doubt it!
    "I'm going to the rugby because I can drink" never get that, I can watch City then go pub and spend less if I wanted to.

It'll never be a brilliant ground, but I love it. Give me SJP over a ground like Coventry's any day. So grateful to be able to stand especially behind the goal.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Lets put it this way , If Exeter chiefs grounds were to be used as the final for a world cup game then you still couldn't get me to go along to that ground.

SJP may not be brilliant but its getting there in time and as far as having a beer while watching the game great idea but if you have to watch egg chasers at the same time ill give up the drink.

If that's how you feel about forking 20 out to watch our team then please enjoy your next M&S meal.

For me it is absolutely fine 'n' dandy for my rare trips "home".

As an ale drinker, the FECRACE is absolutely superb. There is a decent range of stuff going on at the perimeter with the Red Square stuff.

When I've been in hospitality, this has been excellent.

The ground itself is still very "half and half" but that'll soon change.

And the players on the pitch kick the ball rather than throwing it about. That suits me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Dale View Post
    Accepting that ground redevelopment was inevitable it should come as no surprise that the majority will suffer more than their fair share of pain whilst, taking the sentiments expressed in the final sentence of rightwing's post above, 'the priviliged few' make a few bob out of it. Regrettably ,that's one of the fundamental reasons why the gates have remained south of 5,000 despite this season's successful points tally . Many previously die-hard supporters I know won't come back on a regular basis. Many of them , however, like what they see at Sandy Park , particularly the way that club is run. That's why they can charge considerably more and regularly have gates in excess of 10,000.

Quite frankly, the facilities for the majority at SJP are poor in this day and age . Why should anyone want to regularly fork out 20 when the equivalent will buy you two Dine in for 2 Meals inc Wine at M&S? Just look at the difference in last week's two attendances. ...some 1100 less for the Morecambe match. Will the current re-development make much of a difference ? From what little I've seen to date from 'Bob the Builder'......I doubt it!
    No, it's because The Chiefs are one of the best teams in the country. Do you really think they'd be charging what they do if they were in National League 1? I doubt it. If you are one of the best you can charge top dollar. It's not exactly financial wizardry, is it?

They weren’t at Sandy Park for long before the prices started skyrocketing.

Antony; you're one of the exeweb sensible types. Do you believe many supporters would abandon Exeter City (and football), to go and pay extra to watch rugby, at the Chiefs admission prices?
    Last edited by PeteUSA; 04 October 2017 at 22:01.

I like going to SJP and always get a warm feeling inside. Even after the many changes SJP still has character and is a cosy, compact setting. On the rare occasions I can attend I never set off thinking it might be cold or wet or uncomfortable : i'm there for the footie, the atmosphere, the excitement, and the feeling of sharing an experience with my fellow Exonians and all our other supporters. Football is a gritty sport : I don't want to watch it from a soul-less stadium that is too perfect and that has no history or ghosts from the past.
    Last edited by IndoMike; 04 October 2017 at 23:26.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    I like going to SJP and always get a warm feeling inside. Even after the many changes SJP still has character and is a cosy, compact setting. On the rare occasions I can attend I never set off thinking it might be cold or wet or uncomfortable : i'm there for the footie, the atmosphere, the excitement, and the feeling of sharing an experience with my fellow Exonians and all our other supporters. Football is a gritty sport : I don't want to watch it from a soul-less stadium that is too perfect and that has no history or ghosts from the past.
    I couldn't agree more Mike. You sum up my feelings perfectly. The thing I love most is our city centre location which is becoming rarer and rarer with the passage of time.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    Antony; you're one of the exeweb sensible types. Do you believe many supporters would abandon Exeter City (and football), to go and pay extra to watch rugby, at the Chiefs admission prices?
    Nope, not unless they’re rugby fans too. If City ceased to exist tomorrow I certainly wouldn’t be considering supporting the Chiefs as an alternative and I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

If City were to cease to exist, and I was back there, I'd drive down and support Torquay, I really would. Back in the 60's and in 70ish, I drove down to watch Torquay United both times in the cup against a full strength Spurs team both times in the Cup. Spurs put out the same team on both occasions that had played in the previous weekends (old) First Division games. I've got no problem with Torquay, or Argyle for that matter. I was at Home Park when they played Santos of Brasil, with Pele and all; nearly 40,000 in attendance around 72'.