Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The poor facilities at St James Park

Re: The poor facilities at St James Park

Oh for crying out loud! People go to football to watch football not enjoy themselves in the bar. People go to Sandy Park for the same reason people go to Premier league matches, to see top flight domestic rugby with plenty of internationals on the pitch.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the facilities at SJP and they are significantly better than a good deal of other L1 and L2 clubs. Name me another ground that had the choice of six different real ales on offer (5 at FECRACE + Tribute) + two real ciders. The pasties in the kiosks are like cardboard but lets face it food on offer a football isn't exactly cordon bleu anywhere. The Spot could do with a bit of a lick of paint and some new furniture, but there aren't too many other grounds with bars that hold as many people and it has a lot more atmosphere than all those horrible bars and food outlets in the concrete corridors under the stands of many other grounds I've been to. Toilet facilities at SJP are absolutely fine and certainly no worse than the competition. People blaming facilities for no going are just looking for something to mask their 'fair weather fan' attitude. Considering SJP is right in the centre of the city, I think its quite commendable how busy Red Sq and the Spot are before matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Dale View Post
    Accepting that ground redevelopment was inevitable it should come as no surprise that the majority will suffer more than their fair share of pain whilst, taking the sentiments expressed in the final sentence of rightwing's post above, 'the priviliged few' make a few bob out of it. Regrettably ,that's one of the fundamental reasons why the gates have remained south of 5,000 despite this season's successful points tally . Many previously die-hard supporters I know won't come back on a regular basis. Many of them , however, like what they see at Sandy Park , particularly the way that club is run. That's why they can charge considerably more and regularly have gates in excess of 10,000.

Quite frankly, the facilities for the majority at SJP are poor in this day and age . Why should anyone want to regularly fork out 20 when the equivalent will buy you two Dine in for 2 Meals inc Wine at M&S? Just look at the difference in last week's two attendances. ...some 1100 less for the Morecambe match. Will the current re-development make much of a difference ? From what little I've seen to date from 'Bob the Builder'......I doubt it!
    Probably the worst post ever on Exeweb.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalad View Post
    Probably the worst post ever on Exeweb.
    Possibly so. I think he's very wrong on a couple of points bigtime regarding our attendances. An ardent die-hard City fan wouldnt pick one game out of two to watch based on expense. He'd find the money somewhere and wouldnt want to miss a game. I dont buy into his suggestion about some sort of exodus to watch the Chiefs. You dont turn into a rugby fan, having followed football and City all your life. And doesnt getting into Sandy Park cost an arm and a leg?

M&S boooo! I Support the local Shops

Is this a wind up ? ,I had to go to sandy park once as pertbof a corporate thing,lot of people there just for the drinking and not a lot of genuine rugby fans .the atmosphere,well there wasn't much.the prices charged seemed over the top,but if there is some idiot happy to pay it,then they will charge it.i suggest if you are not happy with the city effort,then sandy park would be the best place to frequent.

This person really has caught a few of you with this hasn't he?

I'd just ignore it, clearly a troll looking for attention

[QUOTE=Gordon Dale;1675613]Accepting that ground redevelopment was inevitable it should come as no surprise that the majority will suffer more than their fair share of pain whilst, taking the sentiments expressed in the final sentence of rightwing's post above, 'the priviliged few' make a few bob out of it. Regrettably ,that's one of the fundamental reasons why the gates have remained south of 5,000 despite this season's successful points tally . Many previously die-hard supporters I know won't come back on a regular basis. Many of them , however, like what they see at Sandy Park , particularly the way that club is run. That's why they can charge considerably more and regularly have gates in excess of 10,000.

Quite frankly, the facilities for the majority at SJP are poor in this day and age . Why should anyone want to regularly fork out 20 when the equivalent will buy you two Dine in for 2 Meals inc Wine at M&S? Just look at the difference in last week's two attendances. ...some 1100 less for the Morecambe match. Will the current re-development make much of a difference ? From what little I've seen to date from 'Bob the Builder'......I doubt it![/QUOT That is all.
    Last edited by Ash; 03 October 2017 at 12:59. Reason: Decided I probably shouldn't abuse anyone, even if their post was shiiite.

I think i'm probably going to be unpopular with this and hopefully i'm making a fair and valid point but i do think the standards of toilet facilities are not good at all and it's the only part of the OP i could agree with. If you are a supporter with a medical condition that requires quick access to adequate and plentiful toilet facilities then that's where my issue lies. I am unable to partake in pre match pies and beers because i'll know i'll pay for it during the game and i'll need the bogs a few times sharpish therefore i don't spend at the ground on anything other than in the club shop purely because the bogs aren't up to scratch.

Exeter aren't alone though so not singling them out here. Other than Fleetwood who last time i went had installed a bright, modern portakabin in the away end with plenty of toilet with ACTUAL SEATS ATTACHED, the toilet facilities at football grounds are an absolute disgrace. Often there is only one or two cubicles, no bog roll, no seats, the locks don't work and simply eating and drinking at the game knowing all this isn't worth the risk. It doesn't stop me going but does have an impact on how fully i can relax and enjoy the day.

Obviously i'll be in a minority as most people won't have any issues needing access to a toilet at short notice at any given time however i still do feel that if you are paying upwards of 20 to visit what is arguably an 'entertainment venue' then this needs sorting across the football league and beyond IMO as it's unacceptable.

Now i'll bog off!
    Last edited by Legohead; 03 October 2017 at 14:02.

Thats a perfectly valid post IMO Legohead. I would agree that these facilities seem to be universally poor at football grounds as is disability provision, what I would say however is that the OP seems to imply that they are particularly poor at SJP in comparison to other sporting venues. I don't really go to sports other than football so its difficult to comment on these venues, but I don't really feel that the toilet facilities at Wembley for example were any better than at SJP, so whilst i would accept that more work needs to be done at most grounds to deal with this issue, as a comparison against other grounds I would still strongly disagree with the premise of the OP.

Out of interest have you ever raised these issues with the club?

Legohead, shouldn't let it stop you enjoying yourself. Can you not enjoy a pie n pint and keep a packet of Kleenex Mansize, or the Daily Express, in your pocket just in case ?

Historically, away end loos were often been trashed, and as a consequence it's often the last place money is spent. Ours were notoriously poor for years.