• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Senior Reds

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hi, everyone.

I have been asked to publicise the Senior Reds fan group on these fine pages.

Information can be found here.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/fans/grecians-groups/senior-reds/

We have regular meetings and the next two are as follows...

Tuesday 10th October - Eric Welsh - Many of us remember Eric as a tricky right winger who played for the Grecians from 1959 to 1965, before transferring to Carlisle United. He made 105 appearances for our club, scoring 19 goals, and went on to earn 4 caps for Northern Ireland. Eric is travelling up from Torbay to talk to us, so please join us for the evening to welcome him and to share both his and your memories. This session will be held in the Boardroom at 6pm for a 6.30pm start.

Wednesday 18th October - Mike Mullarkey - This is our September meeting that's been put back a few weeks. It's not every week that we have a World Cup Final Linesman as our guest, and we're delighted that Mike has found time in his busy schedule to talk to us about his career, and his current role. As well as answering any questions, Mike has kindly agreed to bring along some of his memorabilia, including his World Cup Final medal. Now that's not something you get the chance to see every day. The event will take place in the Family Room, formerly known as the Grecian Centre, at 6pm for a 6.30pm start.

These are very interesting meetings, listening to the memories of people involved in football. Tea/coffee and cake/biscuits are provided. A donation is asked for these.

I'm personally looking forward to the Mike Mullarkey talk, as is my wife, whom I'm dragging along to this one. :)

You can e-mail Phil Bater
[email protected]

for further information.

UTC

Dave

iscalad

Quick reminder.

Just a reminder that the Senior Reds are holding a meeting this wek.

Tuesday 10th October when our guest will be Eric Welsh. Eric was a tricky right winger who played for the Grecians from 1959 to 1965, before transferring to Carlisle United. He made 105 appearances for our club, scoring 19 goals, and went on to earn 4 caps for Northern Ireland. Eric is travelling up from Torbay to talk to us, so please join us for the evening to welcome him and to share both his and your memories. This session will be held in the Boardroom at 6pm for a 6.30pm start.

All welcome.

iscalad

On Wednesday 18th October, we will be joined by Mike Mullarkey. It's not every week that we have a World Cup Final Linesman as our guest, and we're delighted that Mike has found time in his busy schedule to talk to us about his career, and his current role. As well as answering any questions, Mike has kindly agreed to bring along some of his memorabilia, including his World Cup Final medal. The event will take place in the Family Room, formerly known as the Grecian Centre, at 6pm for a 6.30pm start.

All are welcome.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Quick reminder.

Just a reminder that the Senior Reds are holding a meeting this wek.

Tuesday 10th October when our guest will be Eric Welsh. Eric was a tricky right winger who played for the Grecians from 1959 to 1965, before transferring to Carlisle United. He made 105 appearances for our club, scoring 19 goals, and went on to earn 4 caps for Northern Ireland. Eric is travelling up from Torbay to talk to us, so please join us for the evening to welcome him and to share both his and your memories. This session will be held in the Boardroom at 6pm for a 6.30pm start.

All welcome.
Gosh, a useful winger in his days. Can it really be more than 50 years since he left. Can you tell him that many who remember his play would have liked to have been there tonight.

iscalad

Gosh, a useful winger in his days. Can it really be more than 50 years since he left. Can you tell him that many who remember his play would have liked to have been there tonight.
Ummm, Eric was last week. Mike Mullarkey on Wednesday of this week.

andrew p long

(facepalm)
Ummm, Eric was last week. Mike Mullarkey on Wednesday of this week.
erm..oops..senior moment appropriate for a senior red:(facepalm)....can it really also be 16 October already!

Last edited:

Angus

Excuse my ignorance, but this Eric bloke. Any reason why he moved to Carlisle? Was Exeter and Carlisle at that time in the same league? Looking at nowadays it would be a bizarre transfer

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Excuse my ignorance, but this Eric bloke. Any reason why he moved to Carlisle? Was Exeter and Carlisle at that time in the same league? Looking at nowadays it would be a bizarre transfer
Angus, I played with Eric at City, he kept me out of the first team. Carlisle were then in the old first division. Eric went on to become a Northern Ireland international whilst playing with them,

Exe on Valdez

Has Stroudy just qualified to be a Senior Red?

I think we should be told.

Andy Holloway

Carlisle were once in the old first Division and, if i remember rightly - without resorting to the internet - were even top for a week or two, then slip like the proverbial down and down and down, until they are where they are today.

My late cousin's, wife's, father was a director of Carlisle for many years, owned a few electrical shops in the area.