• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Feedback on Acadamy

robchave

Didn't make the Morecambe game as I went with a friend to see Yeovil against Colchester Utd - two very average teams!
However, arriving early it was interesting to see that the City <16s and <18s were playing Yeovil youngsters on the outside pitches at Huish Park. Wandering over I got chatting to a guy who turned out to be an England youth set-up support coach. I explained I was actually an ECFC supporter and he started waxing lyrical about our academy set-up; how the club was so well set-up from top to bottom to support youth development; what a great credit it was to Tiz and the coaches, that they were prepared to play youth players in the first team; and that we'd find it difficult to hang onto our <18s coach as he was "one of the best in the country". In his view we were the obvious team for youngsters in the SW to go to if they wanted the best chance of progression!
Really nice to hear such positive feedback from someone involved at such a key level.

Last edited:

tonykellowfan

That's great to hear.

Terryhall

Good news that we are well thought of - but given what was said, I hope we have a good succession plan in place should the coaching staff be headhunted by a bigger / better academy higher up the divisions.

Also good to learn that what we all think of our own academy is echoed by others from "outside" so to speak. As Arséne said, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming the coach chap was referring to Dan Green, it's possible we may have a better chance of holding on to him than with an "outsider" as he has long-standing ties to the club, but of course we should never begrudge anyone the opportunity to progress.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good news that we are well thought of - but given what was said, I hope we have a good succession plan in place should the coaching staff be headhunted by a bigger / better academy higher up the divisions.

Also good to learn that what we all think of our own academy is echoed by others from "outside" so to speak. As Arséne said, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife.
He divorced his, so it's clearly a statement he doesn't fully believe in..... :)

IndoMike

He divorced his, so it's clearly a statement he doesn't fully believe in..... :)
Married to Arsenal, innit?

Red Bill

Didn't make the Morecambe game as I went with a friend to see Yeovil against Colchester Utd - two very average teams!
However, arriving early it was interesting to see that the City <16s and <18s were playing Yeovil youngsters on the outside pitches at Huish Park. Wandering over I got chatting to a guy who turned out to be an England youth set-up support coach. I explained I was actually an ECFC supporter and he started waxing lyrical about our academy set-up; how the club was so well set-up from top to bottom to support youth development; what a great credit it was to Tiz and the coaches, that they were prepared to play youth players in the first team; and that we'd find it difficult to hang onto our <18s coach as he was "one of the best in the country". In his view we were the obvious team for youngsters in the SW to go to if they wanted the best chance of progression!
Really nice to hear such positive feedback from someone involved at such a key level.
This is great to hear and in my opinion why its a good idea to go for the upgrade to a Cat B academy. To cement that in the minds of SW youngsters could see the steady stream of talented kids coming through our academy continue for many years to come. Some have questioned whether we'd see a return on our investment if we went for the Cat B status, but to use a tired old phrase, you have to speculate to accumulate and recent experience suggests that in our case this may be true.

Last edited:

The Governor

Perhaps we should get him to sign a two-year rolling contract ;)

hienzeECFC

Worth mentioning the impact that Simon Hayward has had on our academy from top to bottom. Having spent a year writing the U18 match reports a few years ago it was very clear that his philosophies were integral to the academy's success. To say he is so important to what is essentially the club's most valuable asset it would be nice to see him recognised more publicly.

Going back over old ground a little but it's also clear to me that the continuity we have with our first team management makes the route for progression from academy to first team much more open than if we had a manager with a more short term view. In essence, Long Live King Tisdale!

fred binneys head

Any thoughts about the feedback on the academy, Malcolm? You have previously been against the idea I think, believing City should invest in a better scouting network to pick up quality players from other clubs. Not disagreeing or agreeing with you by the way, just interested in your views on the academy now it seems to be bearing fruit.