• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jury Service

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Did jury service in the distant past. after filling out my expenses I still ended up out-of-pocket ... which I believe is the norm.
No way. I made a nice little profit, thanks.

Mind you one of the jurors parked in that pop-up car park when the old RDE was being developed and copped a £70 fine.

Last edited:

Joshyd123

Day 2 done by midday. Could get used to this!

I would really like to take part in it, just intrigued with the system to be honest

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
I got picked once. Told them i was 'mentally unsuitable' at the time :D as i really didn't want to do it and they excused me. :$

Angus

Joshy do they sub your wages directly or do they pay back your employer? Also expenses what are you allowed?

Joshyd123

Joshy do they sub your wages directly or do they pay back your employer? Also expenses what are you allowed?
Work are paying me but these days it's £37 quid for 4 hours and £67 for a whole day.

They give you £2.70 towards parking and pay bus tickets etc back. Also £5.71 for lunch each day, bargain!

Joshyd123

Sent home until next Monday as of 10.30am this morning. This jury service lark is a piece of piddle!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to do it myself.

My Dad had the situation of being called up for jury service at Isleworth Crown Court (a five minute walk from our then house) to start two weeks after he'd moved out to Bracknell.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm reminded of a yarn.

A lady plaintiff in a sexual harassment case was asked to tell the court just what the defendant had said he was going to do to her. However being too shy to say these things out loud the judge allowed her to write down the gentleman's alleged actual words. She wrote down on a piece of paper what I gather was something along the lines of " When I get you outside I'm going to **** *** and when I've done that I'm going to etc etc ". The note was given to the jury who, in turn, read it and passed it to the juror next to them. A female juror after reading it gave the note to the chap beside her who had unfortunately dozed off. He woke with a start, read the statement, folded it up, put it in his pocket and point blank refused to hand it over.

No idea if this is true.

IndoMike

Walk in with a crazy look in your eyes and a nervous twitch ! Sit down start mumbling about "the devil made you do it" , Hey presto you don't get picked.
That's what the defendant does.