Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jury Service

Re: Jury Service

Shirt and tie with the Times it is then. Home by 10am. Lovely jubbly!

Saying that, it could be a laugh so I might wear ripped jeans and a gravy stained hoodie.

Must say I enjoyed the experience.

I did jury service a few years ago. Money for old rope. Didn't wear a suit either.

Done it once. I remember a lot of sitting around waiting - take a book or your phone charger or both.

Be prepared for everyone you know to ask for all the details but don't be tempted to actually share anything as to do so is a criminal offence (I think? Doubting myself now!)

If you get called to a jury in your final week, be prepared to have to stay an extra week if the trial runs over - they will usually tell you at the start if that is likely and give you opportunity to stand down before selection if it is likely to cause problems with work etc.

I was there 4 weeks wearing jeans and t-shirts every day, was only called to one trial and was foreman. Not convinced that what you wear really makes a difference but who knows. No swearing or offensive logos and otherwise I don't remember there being any dress code to speak of.

Jury members must not deliberately disclose what happened in the jury deliberation room with anyone other than the police or court officers if there is any jury irregularity etc. It is an indictable offence. Jury members can disclose what went on in open court.
    Last edited by Alistair20000; 02 October 2017 at 11:51.

Did it about 15 years ago. A lot of waiting around and a lot of very early finishes for lunch; the thing that struck me was how much it must all cost - having said that it was interesting to see the barristers in action. Wouldn't particularly want to do it again though.

I also favoured the jeans and T-shirt option despite being foreman (on a jury including ten women - I think that middle aged women may be the demographic least likely to be able to get out of doing it!)

Well, first day was fun.

2 out of 33 (myself included) bothered with shirt and tie. Got the nod to go back again tomorrow. A lot of women have been picked for the 12 + subs!

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

I'll save you a bit of time !

It was Colonel Mustard with the lead pipe in the dining room.

We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyd123 View Post
    Well, first day was fun.

2 out of 33 (myself included) bothered with shirt and tie. Got the nod to go back again tomorrow. A lot of women have been picked for the 12 + subs!
    Well that's a bit sexist I must say.
    I mean, sending the lasses out to get the lunch time sarnies.

Did jury service in the distant past. after filling out my expenses I still ended up out-of-pocket ... which I believe is the norm.