• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Reid and Stockley Conundrum

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
They need time to play together - to understand each others strengths which will come with match time and surprisingly training. They are not a conundrum just a positive

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm a big Reid fan however last night he was as ineffectual as I have seen him in a long time.

Stockley should have hit the target with those headers however he's going to miss more than he scores, Stockley comes alive in the box when the delivery is there, outside the box he offers very little imho.

Going forward we only really had a bit of an edge when Edwards came on however he is very very raw.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Tisdale is going to play Reid and Stockley together he is going to need to play with two genuine wide men who are going to get balls into the box, Holmes is capable of that however a midfield that consists of James, Tillson and Taylor will not get the best out of that front pairing.

Something like:

Holmes (right side) Taylor An Other (place very much up for grabs) Moxey

would make much more sense with Stockley and Reid up top.

Last edited:

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
They need time to play together - to understand each others strengths which will come with match time and surprisingly training. They are not a conundrum just a positive
Their strengths are the same, as are their weaknesses, that's not going to change...One or other, but not together..

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

IndoMike

Their strengths are the same, as are their weaknesses, that's not going to change...One or other, but not together..
Yep. Nowadays having two targetmen is not usual, unless it is the big guy/little nipper combination, and even that has died out.

malcolms

Yep. Nowadays having two targetmen is not usual, unless it is the big guy/little nipper combination, and even that has died out.
Who knows, in time they might develop a partnership, but given the way PT plays I don't see how. It's highly likely one of them will be on their way long before we find out. I'm not sure what PT was thinking when he brought Stockley back, unless he was thinking he might lose Reid, makes little sense otherwise.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who knows, in time they might develop a partnership, but given the way PT plays I don't see how. It's highly likely one of them will be on their way long before we find out. I'm not sure what PT was thinking when he brought Stockley back, unless he was thinking he might lose Reid, makes little sense otherwise.
It was a bit of a panic buy after losing Wheeler. For me Stockley has yet to justify us paying a record transfer fee for him. He really should have scored last night and in one situation was played through into the box with the ball at his feet and he had no idea what to do and ended up over hitting it and losing it. He really should have got a shot or cross in as a minimum. Looks like he's lacking a bit of confidence.

IndoMike

It was a bit of a panic buy after losing Wheeler. For me Stockley has yet to justify us paying a record transfer fee for him. He really should have scored last night and in one situation was played through into the box with the ball at his feet and he had no idea what to do and ended up over hitting it and losing it. He really should have got a shot or cross in as a minimum. Looks like he's lacking a bit of confidence.
If we talk about Stockley: he probably needs playing time. The question is if he can work with Reid.

fred binneys head

I think Tisdale bought Stockley exactly because he is similar to Reid - strength in depth in a key role (and I mean role rather than position).

Playing both together though doesn't work - he should have dropped Reuben last night and brought him on for Jayden if it needed it.