• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Reid and Stockley Conundrum

Red Nose

It’s early days admittedly, but after last night’s performance there’s an obvious question mark about whether Reid and Stockley can form an effective partnership. They are a similar type of player and occupied similar positions last night and often made the same run. Between them there isn’t much pace. We certainly missed the link play and ball carrying ability of McAlinden. Maybe if we had a creative number 10 playing in the hole behind it would help?

Both Reid and Stockley are signature players for us and no doubt on high wages. They’ll both want to be starting regularly and will be disgruntled if they’re sat on the bench too often. Tisdale will probably class it as a ‘high quality problem’.

What do we do?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree it's probably not a perfect match, although it might develop. I would stick with Reid until he gets weary, gets injured or loses form then give Stockley a run for 3 games to see how he gets on. If you include cup games, it's nearly 50 games in a season, so for example 25 games each is not so bad.

IndoMike

PS. Tis shouldn't pick players just keep them happy. He should be fair, non partial and select based on form.

nick_exmouth

We certainly missed the link play and ball carrying ability of McAlinden. Maybe if we had a creative number 10 playing in the hole behind it would help?
This has concerned me since the start of the season - lack of creativity in the middle. James and Tillson are not the answer.

If Harley is 'out the picture' for whatever reason, I think putting Taylor back in the middle may be the answer, possibly with Boetang next to him.

Then perm any 2 from 4 with McAlinden, Holmes, Edwards, Moxey, Sparkes or Brunt on the wings and 1 of Reid and Stockley up front in a 4-1-4-1

Stick James, Byrne or Tillson in front of the back 4

malcolms

It’s early days admittedly, but after last night’s performance there’s an obvious question mark about whether Reid and Stockley can form an effective partnership. They are a similar type of player and occupied similar positions last night and often made the same run. Between them there isn’t much pace. We certainly missed the link play and ball carrying ability of McAlinden. Maybe if we had a creative number 10 playing in the hole behind it would help?

Both Reid and Stockley are signature players for us and no doubt on high wages. They’ll both want to be starting regularly and will be disgruntled if they’re sat on the bench too often. Tisdale will probably class it as a ‘high quality problem’.

What do we do?
Don't worry about it....they do training you know..... ;)

1burnm

I went to the game yesterday and drove to work this morning thinking more or less precisely the same thing word for word as what you have written.
Might be an idea to think about a 4-3-3. Using McAlinden Kyle Edwards Holmes plus the fringe players like Sparkes and even Reid wide of Stockley might work better than trying to get the wide midfielders forward to provide chances for Reid and Stockley which clearly didn't work last night, there just wasn't the quality there to get them forward often enough and quickly enough. Then the three central midfielders can concentrate at what they are relatively good at, winning the ball and getting it forward consistently, then protecting the midfield. Just my thoughts anyway.

Antony Moxey

What do we do?
We do nothing, it's one game.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought they played really well together last night. Some lovely quick passes opening up space for each other and other players.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought they played really well together last night.
Both are good league two strikers in their own right however to say they played really well together last night is ridiculous.

Clearly the Liam McAlinden and Reid partnership was working for Reid, what are Reid's stats when Stockley is on the pitch.

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stockley should have scored with free headers twice. Reid had a very good chance close to goal first half he couldn't get on target. They set up Holmes together with a very good chance midway through the first half. Second half Stockley worked himself free inside the area on the right with a great chance to put the ball across but delayed it too long, not because of Reid. These chances converted and somehow people's view of the overall game changes. Several times Stockley won the ball on the half way line and did well to carve out space supported well by Reid. They went for the same ball literally once but this will happen with a new partnership.

The problem in this game was more to do with central midfield and central defence, we didn't have a grip on the game as on Saturday and unlike previous games. I wasn't convinced at all that Stockley and Reid can be effective together before last night. Now I am.