Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reid and Stockley Conundrum

Re: The Reid and Stockley Conundrum

What conundrum?

Quote Originally Posted by antman View Post
    Critics silenced.
    I'm not convinced, great to win and with good goals although against a really weak side, however I still thought Reid was out of the game and far to much and again looked frustrated, I fear we will be found wanting with so little lack of pace up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Slogger View Post
    I'm not convinced, great to win and with good goals although against a really weak side, however I still thought Reid was out of the game and far to much and again looked frustrated, I fear we will be found wanting with so little lack of pace up front.
    Give the manager credit for realising that the combination of Reid and Stockley would get plenty of joy against this team. In games where we need pace we have McAlinden and Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Slogger View Post
    I agree. It was hard to pass judgement on the Reid/Stockley partnership in this match. Morecambe were an awful team, and I thought our performance was almost dragged down to their level. The bottom seemed to drop out of their world when they lost their keeper, who paid the penalty for trying to use his legs to go down at Reids feet instead of his upper body. Good to see Reid and the keeper shaking hands (after a fashion) when it became clear he couldnt continue. I'd hate to think that Reid need not have followed through like that when it was always the keepers ball. I didnt think their keeper could be faulted for any of the goals, anymore than Pym should shoulder any blame for that bullet in the waterlogged goal area. Swamping the pitch with the sprinklers like that contributed to a generally poor game IMHO.

Love Liam, so not sure about this partnership, but as I've said dozens of times Reid is not ideally a targetman,

Yet find it bizarre people earlier in the thread calling Stockley a "panic-buy", guy scores goals, is of a decent age, Tis knows him well, the complete opposite of a panic-buy IMHO, a buy we've been looking to do for years and now have the finances to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pobbop View Post
    Love Liam, so not sure about this partnership, but as I've said dozens of times Reid is not ideally a targetman,

Yet find it bizarre people earlier in the thread calling Stockley a "panic-buy", guy scores goals, is of a decent age, Tis knows him well, the complete opposite of a panic-buy IMHO, a buy we've been looking to do for years and now have the finances to do it.
    I love that notion. The idea of Exeter City spending a record fee of £100000 on a panic buy. Laughable just doesn't even begin to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Nose View Post
    Both Reid and Stockley are signature players for us and no doubt on high wages. They’ll both want to be starting regularly and will be disgruntled if they’re sat on the bench too often. Tisdale will probably class it as a ‘high quality problem’.

What do we do?
    Rejoice that we have two forwards of their quality.

Selection should be based on player form and tactics not wages, promises made to get you to sign or big time Charlie moaning about being on the bench it a weak manager that Bowes to that kind off pressure.

Interesting to read in the Football League Paper yesterday what Jim Bentley had to say about us and particular Reid/Stockley. It's fair to say he was impressed (he says, putting it mildly).

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Interesting to read in the Football League Paper yesterday what Jim Bentley had to say about us and particular Reid/Stockley. It's fair to say he was impressed (he says, putting it mildly).
    The next few games won't be so easy for them as a partnership, and I daresay Tis might not even start with both of them in a couple of these games. But it was wonderful watching them together on Saturday, I thought Reid had a very good game himself despite Stockley's goal heroics grabbing the attention. And people saying Stockley doesn't have pace, it's true he doesn't get off the mark that quickly, but on the fourth goal he races away from the player he dispossesses.
    Last edited by antman; 02 October 2017 at 10:22.