• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary Lovell

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just heard that he 's died.

Wonder if anybody else remembers him from Heles Schooldays? He was a year above me and in class with John Scott who, of course went on to represent England on many occasions. Always remember the story of Scotty and Lovell as first years, a group of second years were running around the old brick, ex military class rooms looking for new boys to "initiate". They ran into a couple of rather large 11 years olds and took a severe beating!

Banksy

Off track I know , but your description of the classrooms sounds more like my old skool , The Technical Grammar.

Early Bath

Off track I know , but your description of the classrooms sounds more like my old skool , The Technical Grammar.
Would this be the same Technical School that I attended, in Belmont Park, circa 1945? Consisted of Nissan huts. I don't recall it being called a "Grammar".

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, EB, it's the old Hele's School Annexe, which years 1-3 occupied before moving across to the main school building. They were linked by that footbridge over Rydon Lane - the one that nobody ever uses these days.

Banksy

That's right , I attended the old Tech Grammar complete with old army huts , before it merged with the newly built Heles School.

elginCity

I remember John Scott at Hele's, Taff Rees' favourite sporting prodigy, but had no idea Gary Lovell was there too.

He was a great Devon and Plymouth Albion stalwart, sad news.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taff Rees
He once reckoned (wrongly) that he could make a sprinter out of me! :)

elginCity

He once reckoned (wrongly) that he could make a sprinter out of me! :)
Funny that, you've always struck me as more of a Fred Basset, Greyhound. :D

Early Bath

No, EB, it's the old Hele's School Annexe, which years 1-3 occupied before moving across to the main school building. They were linked by that footbridge over Rydon Lane - the one that nobody ever uses these days.
Many thanks Greyhound