• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tweeting / Twitter

Legohead

Banned
Has the world gone mad or what?

We now live in a world where the President of the United States of America thinks nothing of firing off random tweets left, right and centre slagging off North Korea and basically all and sundry and getting into arguments on the internet like some immature teenager or angry old man.

Is there anyone left out there who, like me, has no desire to spend their lives posting meaningless tweets over the internet and who cherishes their own privacy and finds dignity in keeping their own counsel?

Twitter only has one use for me. To be able to find out the latest score from somebody at some obscure non league match like Shaw Lane Aquaforce v Prescot Cables when i have a bet on. I use it for nothing else and don't even have an account. This is not to mention the overlooked fact that said bloke at game should be watching it instead of posting updates every couple of minutes although i do thank them for the live score updates of course. :)

We all find our different reasons for using twitter i guess but i just feel like the ease of being able to post opinions and posing for a photo every 5 seconds (all of which are ultimately pointless) is gradually turning society into narcissists.

I find myself now switching off to people when they start banging on about what X or Y did on social media or playing with their phones all the time and i actually now deliberately avoid these people.

There are barely any people left to connect with anymore. :D Unless i send them a tweet or tag them or something. (facepalm) This is the new way of connecting so i guess if i can't come to terms with it then i get left behind. Interesting new stage in social development.

Just out of interest. I'd like to find out if there are any young/er people out there who just don't bother with social media much such as farcebook and ****ter etc?

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
When I was at primary school we had this game.

When a teacher left the room somebody would write "bum" on the blackboard.
Teacher would return, see the word but not know who'd written it.

That's the internet that is.

*Other types of internet are available

iscalad

Our French teacher always insisted that there were no swear words in French, We were 14 at the time. We had great delight in writing a few choice words on the blackboard.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I find Twitter of great use and interest. It depends, like all things, what you want to get out of it. I love history, so I follow a couple of historians. I'm particularly interested in the medieval period and the language of those times, so I also follow a professor of medieval manuscripts. Another, who shares my passion for slang words past and present - she's just posted an excellent link to a website which has compiled all the slang terms for 'vagina' since 1365. (That one, if you're interested is the seemingly modern term 'tail'. 'Two-leaved book' from the 1650s also caught my attention). I also follow a couple of writer's and English professors. There are some interesting conversations to be had on Twitter, just not necessarily within the mainstream of users.

IndoMike

And you were that someone..

IndoMike

The world was, is and will be mad until it ends. It's just a very dumb-downed mad now.

Spoonz Red E

And you were that someone..
Shhh! Teacher's have access to the internet now.

IndoMike

Shhh! Teacher's have access to the internet now.
Your secret is safe with me and 4000 Exewebbets...

I'm a youngun who hardly uses social media. I agree that twitter and the like are full of rubbish but my lack of contacts has more to do with me having mind-numbingly boring hobbies. So it's more me than them which I guess is also the case for other technophobes.

LOG

I've joined twitter although apparently i set up an account in 2009. I don't know how to use it and am just being told about tropical Storm Barry.

This could be short-lived.