• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Our fans are brilliant

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Getting the games on the live stream here has been amazing this season, especially of course because of our incredible form and performances, but one thing that has been occurring to me is how brilliant our fans are. This time last season we were heading towards one of the worst runs of results for years and confidence among many was very low. However, this never actually translated into poor attendances. Some were trying to suggest that it had, but if you look at the numbers for October and November for home games last season they were around 3,500, which actually showed great patience and loyalty. The protests against the club didn't attract the numbers those organising had hoped for, and by the first couple of good home results (December!) the noise from the Big Bank was good again and since then waves of optimism and belief have pushed the team forward. The players love playing in front of a noisy Big Bank and you can see the energy draining from the opposition late in games as the belief takes over.

In recent games I have noticed that there is plenty of pressure on the referee when we get roughed up by the opposition and this is really important, we rely on the refs to get a card out when one is warranted because it sends a signal out to other players that they can't do it. On iFollow you can hear the noise of the crowd much better than on the Radio Devon commentary, I have audio from both running together although the commentary is a bit behind the televised action. I think the consistency of refs we've had this season is one of the reason why we're doing so well, in previous seasons all too often I've seen yellow card offences not punished as such.

Our away support is always sizeable and loud and always was in fact, and we are becoming the envy of the division in terms of making the most of what we have. Whenever I attend matches at SJP (not often enough) I am struck by the great atmosphere, and home fans love engaging away fans in a chat around the ground before the game. If there is ever any racism or other stupidity the majority of fans are quick to call it out and shame it, as we saw recently. While there are often silly spats on Exeweb (I know I indulge in this too) if you go to a game you rarely see anything but good feeling. As someone who grew up in the 70s as a big football fan and attending games all over the country (I was actually a Man U fan as well until I turned 18 and actually went to live in the north and then realised that City were the only team for me) and hating the hooligan culture of that time, I would claim that we are one of the English clubs leading the way in terms of neither being sterile corporate Premier League but also having the maturity and community-minded ideas that bring in kids and women fans to a welcoming environment (don't stand next to me on the Big Bank, kids, when the ref doesn't get the cards out though!), at the same time as having a noisy passionate support.

I know most of this has been true for some years now but I think it is another key to our current good form. If you compare the atmosphere and the set up with what we had in the late 90s there is no comparison at all. I've no doubt that if we go through a bad run of results this season the support will still be there as it has been through the years.

ECFC89

I wholeheartedly agree with all of that. Guaranteed any away trip, whatever the numbers, we will make a racket. At home the Red Legion really do deserve a lot of credit.

My one slightly negative point however would be, to the people who made up the new McCormick chant on Saturday please don't let it come up again at Coventry away. Any chant with the word kiddy killer in it, doesn't particularly sit well. I mean they are still someone's kids.

Red Bill

I would agree with Antman here and the Red Legion can take full credit. About three seasons ago the atmosphere at SJP had dropped so badly, there was barely any singing and what there was was very half hearted, I can remember one game where not one single song started in the whole match. My wife who's not a City fan but does like football, stopped coming on her occasional visits to SJP with me as it was just too dull around the ground and she didn't enjoy herself, but once the RL started up things changed completely, and as Antman says, despite having to endure some dreadful performances, particularly in the pre christmas spell last year, the RL kept on singing and that made me and others who aren't great a starting chants off join in.

Away games also make me feel very proud. Always a good showing and you can tell from the comments you hear from opposition fans that they think us lot are good fans.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree with Bill. The Legion is a big factor. I do get frustrated that a few supporters jump on them as a group when a few stupid people do the pyro thing etc., or moan about the drum.

In all my 51 years going to SJP such an atmosphere as we have now has usually been a rarity with sub 5,000 crowds and the audible and visual presence of the Legion has improved things significantly.

Grecian2K

Oh, I don't quite know Pete.

Back in the 70s the OLD Cowshed Choir was always quite quick and loud with the old, odd inventive song.
(Unlike the NEW Cowshed Library where, I fear, too many still tut disapprovingly when the riff-raff on the BB dare to disturb their slumbers.)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Funny that G2K....all I can really remember is "Exeter City are magic.....weeee all agreeee" (which hasn't been heard in eons).

Heysham Mike

Our away support is always sizeable and loud and always was in fact
Wasn't always the case. I went to many City away games in the late 1960s when you were lucky if there were five or six travelling supporters. In fact on a couple of occasions, as far as I was aware, I was the only one (Workington, Bradford Park Avenue, Barrow etc.).

Last edited:

elginCity

Wasn't always the case..
S'right Mike, even as 'recently' as the early 80s recall a tin pot game at Pompey where I sat in the home end and there was one City fan stood on the Milton Road terrace in the pouring rain. Very funny to watch his version of 'You'll never walk alone', as he obviously did.

Fareham Grecian swears it was he too.

I reckon the away following started to grow in number throughout the Conference years, and has stayed with it since.

Grecian2K

Funny that G2K....all I can really remember is "Exeter City are magic.....weeee all agreeee" (which hasn't been heard in eons).
Oh, not entirel Pete

I can still vividly recall our adaptation of the 1970 classic by steam

Nah nah nah nah
Nah nah nah nah hah
Hey hey hey
City City

or

We all agree, Exeter City are magic
Torquay United don't count at all
And Pl*muff Arg*le are just tragic

Bless 'em all
Bless 'em all
Banks, Wingate, Binney and all
There'll be a commotion
When we get promotion
So come on you reds. Bless 'em all

Or, even (and on an admittedly less salubrious note)
Arg*le, don't bovver me
Arg*le don't bovver me
You come in the shed
You get a kick in the head
Don't bovver me

I'm sure some fellow Ancient Greeks (eh Sturtz ???) could add a few more to the Grecian Sounds of the 70's greatest hits album.

Last edited:

iscalad

Oh, not entirel Pete

I can still vividly recall our adaptation of the 1970 classic by steam

Nah nah nah nah
Nah nah nah nah hah
Hey hey hey
City City

or

We all agree, Exeter City are magic
Torquay United don't count at all
And Pl*muff Arg*le are just tragic

Bless 'em all
Bless 'em all
Banks, Wingate, Binney and all
There'll be a commotion
When we get promotion
So come on you reds. Bless 'em all

Or, even (and on an admittedly less salubrious note)
Arg*le, don't bovver me
Arg*le don't bovver me
You come in the shed
You get a kick in the head
Don't bovver me

I'm sure some fellow Ancient Greeks (eh Sturtz ???) could add a few more to the Grecian Sounds of the 70's greatest hits album.
Not forgetting the classic Molly Malone.