• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'Sporting Memories' sessions

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
These Sporting Memories session are run by Peter Ferlie from Exeter Community Trust with Dr Ali Haggett from Exeter University So far theyve have had two great sessions.

It runs every Wednesday in the Junior Grecians Centre from 09:30 and lasts for about 2 hours.

It's for 'senior's' and just encourages them to talk about their memories with 'sport' as the 'hook' to get them going.

They've already had some fantastic stories from people about both rugby and football. Apparently these sessions come highly recommended.

PeterF

These Sporting Memories session are run by Peter Ferlie from Exeter Community Trust with Dr Ali Haggett from Exeter University So far theyve have had two great sessions.

It runs every Wednesday in the Junior Grecians Centre from 09:30 and lasts for about 2 hours.

It's for 'senior's' and just encourages them to talk about their memories with 'sport' as the 'hook' to get them going.

They've already had some fantastic stories from people about both rugby and football. Apparently these sessions come highly recommended.
Thanks for the shout out Hants, we had ex ECFC Keeper Barrie Carless with us last week, and told us about the time he faced John Charles .
Fantastic football history.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Barrie Carless? I dont recall him. Wasnt there a chiefs player called that?

PeterF

Not only did Barrie play for Exeter & Devon at rugby, he captained both sides and was Exeter Rugby's first " proper " coach.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the shout out Hants, we had ex ECFC Keeper Barrie Carless with us last week, and told us about the time he faced John Charles .
Fantastic football history.
I can't find him in City's A to Z.

iscalad

I can't find him in City's A to Z.
Nope. Mentioned in the recent dementia awareness initiative.

PeterF

My mistake. He only trained with us, if you go to this link you will see him in the middle with Arnold Mitchell and David Henderson. http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/180

Colesman Ballz

My mistake. He only trained with us, if you go to this link you will see him in the middle with Arnold Mitchell and David Henderson. http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/180
Wouldn't that be JOHN Henderson, the striker that was signed from Aberdeen ?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... It's for 'senior's' ...
And men only. (I would whinge about that but it's a 'men's health' thing, apparently).

Last edited:

Heysham Mike

John Henderson was signed from Charlton Athletic.