Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The first ten games

Fingers uncrossed and looking forward to next season!

Re: The first ten games

Luton have lost one of their most important players: Vassel has gone to Birmingham.

Orient were in the play off positions this time last year IIRC

There's no point looking at the table with any intent until at least Christmas, imo. Year on year teams will be flying high/battling relegation at Christmas and in a completely different position come May. It's a good start, and would be nice to be top after 10 games played, but all it takes is one or two injuries or bad games to upset the balance of the team and we're on a massive losing streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pobbop View Post
    Someone was saying Peter Fox got off to a good start, but not sure it lasted 10 games.
    August 1999 - top of the league, flying. Foxy got MOTM.

Then the wheels came off big time - by the time he resigned just after Christmas we were down around the bottom.

If you'd told me at the start of the season we'd have 18 points from our first 10 games, I'd have snapped your hand off. That doesn't mean I'd be happy for us to lose the next 4 games of course, but in context it just shows what a fantastic start we have made this season.

I think a lot of credit has to go to the manager who has handled the (probably expected) departure of two key attacking players very well and has clearly done a great job of keeping momentum and morale in the squad high after a disappointing end at Wembley last time out. Unbeaten after 6 games and the top scorer in the entire EFL up front (I don't think anyone has more than Reid's 6 goals this term but happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.)

My statistical mind always sees 1.8 points per game as the threshold where you'll be around automatic promotion at the end of the year. Right now we are on 2.67 points per game - from a statto perspective it is of course too early to tell but very encouraging that we are well ahead of the curve in terms of where we want to aim to finish next May. Long may it continue!

It's a good start. Every point we can get early in the season is a promotion point in the bag. Sooner or later we will lose a game, so lets hope it will be a blip and not halt our momentum. With the squad we have and with pretty good cover in most positions I think we can be optimistic of a good outcome this season.

I've had a quick look at the records and I can't find a better points haul from the first six games. The ones mentioned (87, 99) were good, but not as good.

It seems to be ECFC's best start in the era of 3 points for a win. I'll let somebody else go back through the black and white archives before that ...

OK, now I think we can call it our best start in Football League history. Sad statto, happy statto ...

Altogether now then let's hear it......another record for 'Tis.

Enjoy the good times, they don't last forever.

We have collected 84 points from our last 46 regular league matches.

If we can hold it together for next two matches and Notts county keep going that could be some encounter in a couple of weeks.

Think we didn't make it to 19 points last season until Orient away, which was late November!
    Last edited by richard_portland; 12 September 2017 at 22:19.