• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The first ten games

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Six down top of the league and 16 points out of a possible 18. Next four games Tues Barnet away, Saturday 16th Crewe home, Saturday 23rd Coventry away and Tuesday 26th Notts County home. Barnet currently 7th with 10 points (just won 2 on the bounce), Crewe 4th with 11 points, Coventry 8th with 10 points and Notts County 3rd with 13 points. None of these are going to be easy games. Although interesting to note that Barnet and Coventry have already each lost once at home and Crewe and Notts County have lost once away.

Nevertheless I think these four games are going to be a true test of our mettle. Come through these unbeaten, with enough points to keep us in the top spot and we can start to think seriously about our promotion ambitions.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll be very happy with a six point minimum from these next four games. Any more than that will be a bonus. We are organised and tight, with a few match winners still on our books. It will be difficult for lower ranked teams to take anything off us this season, it could be the opposite to most seasons when league position of the opposition seems to have no relevance in their results against us.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll be very happy with a six point minimum from these next four games. Any more than that will be a bonus. We are organised and tight, with a few match winners still on our books. It will be difficult for lower ranked teams to take anything off us this season, it could be the opposite to most seasons when league position of the opposition seems to have no relevance in their results against us.
I was thinking the same thing regarding opposition league positions and felt in the past that Saturday's game would have been a typical banana skin for us and one which we might probably have lost in previous seasons.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Dare we dream?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dare we dream?
Don't be silly, Hants!!!
(This is Exeweb, after all)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Six down top of the league and 16 points out of a possible 18. Next four games Tues Barnet away, Saturday 16th Crewe home, Saturday 23rd Coventry away and Tuesday 26th Notts County home. Barnet currently 7th with 10 points (just won 2 on the bounce), Crewe 4th with 11 points, Coventry 8th with 10 points and Notts County 3rd with 13 points. None of these are going to be easy games. Although interesting to note that Barnet and Coventry have already each lost once at home and Crewe and Notts County have lost once away.

Nevertheless I think these four games are going to be a true test of our mettle. Come through these unbeaten, with enough points to keep us in the top spot and we can start to think seriously about our promotion ambitions.
I've always believed that after 10 games the leaders and stragglers start to sort themselves out. Keep going as we are and I'll be well chuffed.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have nothing to fear and I believe we will come through the next 4 with a decent points haul. I am quite surprised Mansfield and Luton have not performed as well as the bookies predicted and I expect they (especially Luton) to creep upwards. If we can take max points off Notts County and Coventry I will be very happy

speedyflo

What is our best start to a league campaign after say 6, 10 or 12 games?? We cant have done better over 6 games (unless we won all 6 previously) but what is our best points tally after 10?

Pobbop

What is our best start to a league campaign after say 6, 10 or 12 games?? We cant have done better over 6 games (unless we won all 6 previously) but what is our best points tally after 10?
I can't remember us doing that well at the start of the season. in the past our away record wasn't good (for most of the Championship season) and under Tis our home record.

Someone was saying Peter Fox got off to a good start, but not sure it lasted 10 games.

87/88 was a great start with Brendan O'Connell and Dean Edwards leading the line. It all fell apart pretty dramatically.