• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Attendances

Boyo

Random question(s)...

I know our highest ever attendance at SJP was just shy of 21k vs Sunderland in 1931, however what is the highest attendance at SJP for a league match?

Similarly, I'd be interested to know the following:

Highest crowd ever to watch an ECFC game (the 67k at Old Trafford will be tough to beat)
Lowest league crowd at SJP
Lowest league crowd at an away fixture.

If anyone could help that would be appreciated?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Smallest "league" crowd I could find from our Conference days was 451 at Leigh in 04/05.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lowest FL away crowd was 693 at Workington in Dec 1973...The 3 day week & the Miners Strike probably had something to do with the low crowd..

Oldsmobile-88

Pretty sure the lowest FL crowd at SJP was 1,390 against Cambridge in Jan 1986 (It was a bitterly cold Friday night iirc)

Oldsmobile-88

There is a 20,000 Div 3 South crowd against Plymouth(I have not got the complete record at hand)

The highest FL attendancesI have seen at SJP were in 72/73 in the 4th Division.11,296 against Torquay on Boxing Day & 10,122 against Southport in early February(That was 1st v 2nd)

Lyme Grecian

The highest crowd I've seen for a league game at SJP was 10,461 for the visit of Sheffield Wednesday at the end of the 79-80 season, think we also topped 10k against Plymouth the same season, but I wasn't allowed to go to that

Oldsmobile-88

The highest crowd I've seen for a league game at SJP was 10,461 for the visit of Sheffield Wednesday at the end of the 79-80 season, think we also topped 10k against Plymouth the same season, but I wasn't allowed to go to that
Yep...Remember the Plymouth game it was on New Years Day...2-2 if my memory is correct..The Sheffield Weds game was the last 10,000 + attendance for a FL fixture at SJP (and we pi55ed on their party..:D)

David Treharne

Smallest "league" crowd I could find from our Conference days was 451 at Leigh in 04/05.
...and it was freezing. I was sitting in their "Directors Box" (remember it was a ground share) and it was so cold I had to jog around to the away fans, after giving my apologies to my hosts. As I recall a City fan was wandering around without a shirt on. Those who were there were hardy fans!

Oldsmobile-88

..As I recall a City fan was wandering around without a shirt on. Those who were there were hardy fans!
I remember a load of the Exiles prancing around The Shay shirtless on a cold December afternoon in 2003...A hardy bunch,no doubt tanked up from the wonderful 3 Pigeons pub...The Chippendales need not have worried too much..

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is a 20,000 Div 3 South crowd against Plymouth(I have not got the complete record at hand)
Just checked - it was Feb 1951. Our first home game against them since the war, I think, which would have boosted the attendance.

We won 3-2!

Last edited: